What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5 Pax RV-10?

danboy

I know I've seen a few posts on the web, but what's the feasibility of fitting three kids in the back of a 10. Anyone done it? Can the back be modified to bench seat? I'm considering making the plunge in the next year or so and am just doing as much research as I can ...thanks

Welcome to VAF.

Yes, it has been done. Make sure the seat belt connection points are well thought out and properly engineered.

They better be really skinny and plan on having wires all over them. My two(8 & 11 yo) have Ipod and games with headsets and headset adapters plus power cords when needed. I tell them in case of emergency to throw it all in the back otherwise they will never get out! Insurance may be a little higher. It can be done though.

I made a 60/40 and designed it so I could take 3 children. Weight and balance wise should not be an issue for three kids, space wise, it gets tight when you add up the age and it equals more than 20. Also consider there is an issue with leg room for the person in the center with the tunnel.
I would do it again as this weekend my two kids (age equals 12) slept across the seats, they would not be able to do so without the 20% being covered.
Pascal

I built mine with 5 seats. I used flightline interior seats, with an extra center piece to bridge the gap, effectively making a bench seat in back. I used the existing seat belt attach points for lap belts, and a minor mod for the shoulder belts. I can convert back to a 4 seat in about 1 hour. I also built with 6 place intercom, and a 5th jack between the front seats for the middle passenger.

Aircraft was certified at Van's recommended gross, but as a 5 seat plane. This was after discussion with insurance, who agreed to insure the 5th seat for almost nothing.

I have three girls, ages 16, 12, and 10. I have about 100 hours flying 5 in the plane, including my wife in the front seat. This includes 3 trips to FL (6 hours each way) and a trip to Oshkosh (5 hours). The most recent was last month. Weights are at the point where I can fill the tanks, with no luggage and be at gross. Empty CG is at the forward limit, so W&B is not an issue.

I'd be lying if I said the kids were perfectly behaved after 6 hours together, but its no worse than a car. DVD players on the seat backs really help. For short 1 or 2 hour trips there is no problem at all.

Aaron

I have done the same

I built mine with 5 seats. I used flightline interior seats, with an extra center piece to bridge the gap, effectively making a bench seat in back. I used the existing seat belt attach points for lap belts, and a minor mod for the shoulder belts. I can convert back to a 4 seat in about 1 hour. I also built with 6 place intercom, and a 5th jack between the front seats for the middle passenger.

Aircraft was certified at Van's recommended gross, but as a 5 seat plane. This was after discussion with insurance, who agreed to insure the 5th seat for almost nothing.

I have done the same and it is described as a 5 seater in the POH and we are paying the extra insurance for four pax. The center seat is rather narrow and has a lap bet only, but is good for normal sized kids say up to 10 years old. I have also flown with a mom and her two teenagers in the back and they had no complaints after an hours flight. Obviously I cannot take much luggage with three in the back, but had full tanks and the C of G was within limits.

5th seat belt

Can anyone provide a picture, showing the seat belt attach points,in particular the sholder harness. I think I'm ready to do this.........

Back