What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Military scheme: back story

pat

Well Known Member
Ok, so I started the thread asking about military paint schemes particularly interested in axis forces and how they were received. As expected answers varied but what most interesting were the "back stories" related to why a particular scheme was chosen. So if your willing to share, I would certainly enjoy the read. Thanks in advance for sharing!

Pat

I'm a big time Spitfire fan. But I can't afford one :( or a replica/kit that I could get into and fly.

The RV, as good as it is, wasn't my first choice. I know people out there are spinning in their graves and doing various things to ward off evil spirits. My size dictated that I had to go for the 8, the 14 had only just appeared.

I didn't like the 'vagueness' about the 14, costings, sub kit lead times (which are still not available), it was considered to cost the same, if not approaching the cost, of the 10 which is way above my pay-grade.

Anyway, 19 squadron which brought the Spit into service, later in the war changed to Mustangs. I might use one of their schemes. At least the real thing ended up with an English engine. And an 8 in RAF markings is going to get noticed.

The Brits originally used it for recce, army co-op and ground attack, when they found that it wasn't competitive against the German fighters of the time 109F-G and FW190A series. I think we pioneered the 4x20mm cannon armament for the 51. Then when someone suggested putting the Merlin 60 series into the 51, the ball game changed and so did history.

My father's big hero when he was a kid was his uncle, USMC aviator Maj. Wendell Langston. Wendell first saw action in January of 1945 while flying F4U Corsairs with Marine Squadron VMF-221 "Fighting Falcons" operating from the USS Bunker Hill (CV-17). He took part in strikes against the Japanese mainland, and most notably against Japanese forces on and over the island of Okinawa during the massive battle that took place there during the Spring of 1945. His Corsair was shot out from under him during a scrap with Japanese fighters on April 28, 1945 and he was forced to bail out into the vast Pacific Ocean. He had dropped out of the fighter while it was inverted and wreched his back pretty severely when his chute opened, leaving him to endure the agonizing pain while awaiting his rescue.

He was eventually spotted by a small US Navy ship (LCS-11), delivered to hospital, and eventually made his way back to USS Bunker Hill two weeks later. Upon his arrival he was put up in sick bay just in time for a pair of devestating Kamikaze attacks that left two gaping holes in the heart of the ship. He and the other servicemen who were able to get out of bed managed to gather and wet the patient's socks to stave off the the smoke inhalation that killed hundreds of others in the belly of the ship. The USS Bunker Hill steamed back Stateside for repairs but did not make it back to the combat theater before the war ended.

Uncle Wendell recovered and went on to fly Corsairs in combat again during the Korean war with two of the most recognized F4U squadrons from that era: VMF-312 "Checkerboarders", and VMF-323 "Death Rattlers". He was ultimately killed in the late 1960's while piloting helicopters in New Zealand for hunting expeditions.

I never met Wendell, but my father has told ne stories about him since I was a youngster. The "Blacksheep Squadron" TV series served as a catalyst for my interest in aviation and warbirds, and for my father's introducing me to the knowledge of Uncle Wendell's endeavors. Those memories and stories have helped to fuel both of our life-long passions for flight, so when it came to decide how we wanted to paint the RV-4, there was little debate as to how we would proceed - we would pay tribute to our family war hero.

Here is a photo of my father's RV-4, fresh out of the shop and on the apron last week just a couple of days after completing its first flight! The paint scheme represents the colors and markings worn by the F4U-1D Corsair piloted by Maj. Wendell Langston during his WWII Okinawa campaign. Congrats to my dad for the immense eight-year effort building this RV from scratch and bringing the dream to fruition.:cool:

DSC04979-.jpg

Last edited:
I'm Canadian, and love watching the Snowbirds perform. Now, my paint scheme is not exactly like theirs (they have actually trademarked the name and so on), so I came up with my Snowbirds "inspired" scheme.

It works for me.

paint19.jpg

Back