What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vents for GIB

RVRC

Well Known Member
Hi folks. I am thinking about the best way to get fresh, cool air for the guy/gal in back of my 4. My wing skins are already on but the wing not attached. I am in the deep south and am planning 2 NACA under the cheeks for me, but want more for the back. I have read that the canopy fairing vents don't work well and that under the wing NACA does. Has anyone done this and if so, where did you mount the vent inside the cabin? Also, pictures would be good. Has anyone put one NACA under both wings?
Thanks,
RVRC
Robert Cutter
upside down canoe :)

I met as gentleman by the name of Larry Vetterman this past Saturday who has designed a small circular air inlet about 1.5" in diameter that you can add directly into the canopy frame. It's a super simple little item that's made out of solid billet aluminum and requires no ducting or any other complicated components. The passenger (or pilot for that matter) simply twists it from the inside, and the otherwise flush-mounted silver dollar sized plate on the exterior rotates 180 degrees into an open position which redirects air into the cockpit. In the open position this little plate juts out into the slipstream at a 45 degree angle and scoops up a surprisingly substantial amount of air. My father and I are in the process of completing the fuselage for our RV-4, and Mr. Vetterman was kind enough to give my father his first ride in the type. :) He reported that the tiny little air inlet produced more than enough air flow to keep him cool on what was a fairly hot Louisiana afternoon.

You can inquire further with Mr. Vetterman at [email protected]. He's the same gentleman who produces all of the exhaust components for Van's RV-10, and he has a fair number of other innovative items for the RV-4 as well. He had a very effective method for locking the RV-4 canopy in a slightly opened position for taxiing - and again, it provided more than adequate air on the 85+degree Louisiana tarmac on Saturday to make for a very comfortable cockpit prior to taking flight.

If you look just below the canopy, you can see the two inlets installed on the canopy frame. His were unpainted, which makes them easy to spot in the photo. You can also see his canopy locked in the "a/c" position. ;)

VettermanRV4.jpg

Thanks for the info and pictures. I will contact him. I know ALL about Lousyana weather. I lived in Alexandria for 35 years. I am now in the other sweatbox of the south, South Carolina. :D As a matter of fact, I bought my partially built kit from my stepbrother in Alex.

Gotta keep cool.
RVRC
Robert Cutter
upside down canoe :D

vetterman parts pics

Anybody know of an online source for the Vetterman vents. I'd like to see a closeup pic of the actual part.

Steve Zicree

Larry didn't have a webpage on his business card, and I'm guessing he doesn't sell these in bulk. I remember him telling us that he had the units manufactured in small quantities by a local CNC shop as demand requires.

Since he's involved directly with Van's, there's a possibility that these parts might be available directly through the company.

Larry was a very personable guy, and I'll bet if you e-mail him at the address in the above post he'd probably be able to send you some photos directly. You'll get the best price that way too. ;)

Back