What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rubber Ducky ELT antenna?

flyenforfun

Well Known Member
I have been trying to determine where to mount an ELT antenna on my -8 as it seems many people have trouble with. I keep seeing these "rubber ducky" antennas mounted in the cockpit between the bars that the front seat rests on. Its a nice install, but where can I get this antenna? Most of the 406 ELTs that I can actually afford come with this long whip antenna, and the ACK 406 comes with an angled whip which would be really hard to place. Thanks for the help.

Rubber Ducky

I am no communications expert but have been told by some that while the rubber ducky may meet the antenna requirement it doesn't actually meet the "functioning" antenna requirement...they may work on the AM/FM radio on your car but that's it...be sure and check this out...the ELT only needs to work once in it's entire life, and yours for that matter, but when it needs to work you realllllllllllllllllllly want it to work...trust me on this...

SWR

Matthew,

I looked at a typical ELT spec that said the antenna SWR was 1.5 or less. If your antenna source can give you specs that are reasonably close, I personally would be satisfied.

The good thing about a stubby rubber ducky is that you can place it in an area that is more likely to survive an "incident".

Don

ELT antenna

I just installed the 406 ELT antenna underneath the saddle. the 406 is a bit longer and came with an angled base, so I made a simple bracket. the bracket mounts to the forward side of the last bulkhead. Drop me a note, if you are interested in a pic.

If you read the installation instructions for the 406 ELTs, you are required to install the antenna that comes with it or one that is approved by the manufacturer else you have an unauthorized installation.

Is the ELT's factory antenna too long to mount (horizontally) under the fiberglass empenage fairing of the -*8? I know of a lot of -8's that have their ELTs antenna mounted there and hidden out of sight. You might have to fabricate an angled bracket to compensate for the angled base of the antenna.

Still trying to decide here. The ACK 406 is priced right, but the angled antenna is a problem. The Ameriking AK-451 has a decent price but the antenna is 24 inches long. The Airtex ME406 has the shortest antenna ive found (12 inches), but its almost 1000 dollars.

Angled ELT Antenna

I just installed the 406 ELT antenna underneath the saddle. the 406 is a bit longer and came with an angled base, so I made a simple bracket. the bracket mounts to the forward side of the last bulkhead. Drop me a note, if you are interested in a pic.

Thilokind-

I'd sure like to see your pic. Currently trying to figure this out myself. When you say underneath the saddle, are you talking about the empennage fairing?

Thanks!

ELT antenna

Just joined forum. Am also wondering where to mount 406 angle whip antenna. Was told the emp. fairing was a good spot but it seems to me to be too long.

Ended up getting a good deal on a new in box Ameriking ELT from Stein on here, it has a straight whip then isn't very long. Most likely putting it inside the cockpit.

I inst the AK-451 elt ant just behind rh rear seat crossbrace with fiberglass all around. Antenna is straight and probably 14-16" long. If it does not survive the crash...neither will we.

Back