What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replace RV-4 canopy

STAP

Hi folks. first post. I need to replace my RV-4's canopy due to cracks in the plexi (cosmetic) and cracks in the leading edge of the skirt. I've read the threads regarding canopy replacement, and I'm really interested in lessons learned from this process before I learn all the standard lessons again.

Thanks!

Replacing Canopy

Hi folks. first post. I need to replace my RV-4's canopy due to cracks in the plexi (cosmetic) and cracks in the leading edge of the skirt. I've read the threads regarding canopy replacement, and I'm really interested in lessons learned from this process before I learn all the standard lessons again.

Thanks!

The first step is to by a Todd's Canopy NOT a Van's canopy. Next you might want to search for Sikaflex thrends as an alternative to drilling all those holes.

I did mine with Sikaflex, put quite a bit on my blog when I put my canopy together. You might want to click here and scroll down around May 07. Mine is a VANS canopy. Its fine by me.

I have no regrets re Sikaflex. Cracking seems much less likely.

Just now doing the sika canopy thing on my 4

Thanks to Steve Sampson's build log this has not been as hard as I
thought. I checked out many of the blogs re: sika. Steve's gives you the best info. My adds would be: have a very good supply of gloves, build what Steve
called his gallows to get up inside to apply the three different components only I would make it so you can easily adjust the height to save neck strain, and don't wear any of your favorite shirts while applying the sika (it's messy).
Don't hesitate to give me a call with any questions.
Mark Wyss
RV-4 finish
5 one 3 seven 0 eight 5954

Super helpful, thanks

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. This is really helpful, as soon as I get my head around the requirements I'll post more. Again, it's great to see such quality assistance.

You can drive up and check out my project. I got the Todds canopy and used Sikaflex to attach it.

Which specific Sikaflex compound did you use? It looks like there are about a half-dozen to choose from on their website.

Back