What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foot Wells - RV-4 Rear

Capflyer

Well Known Member
I would like to put foot wells in my RV4 for the rear seaters. From posts about them on VAF some have retrofitted the RV8 foot wells into the RV4 which looks like a good solution. Does anyone know what part numbers I need to order? On Vans store they have quite a selection in this area so not sure of everything required that I should order.

I did it but can't remember the part numbers. You will need a total of six parts. Two of them are 90 deg shaped and the other four are the flat triangle pieces that rivet to either side of the 90 deg pieces. Anyone with a preview manual could help you out, I got rid of mine.

Footwells...

I have plans that were sent to me by Mitch Garner. Looks to be a page out of an old RVator. You can cut all the parts out of two pieces of .032, one 26 1/2" x 6 1/2" and one piece 4 3/4" x 36". A sheet metal shear really helps make the job easier! I too thought about going the RV8 footwells route, but had the material, so came out a lot cheaper this way. Turns out great both ways I think! Like others have said, just have to watch your pushrod clearance.
I've got the page PDF'd if you want it. Just shoot me your email.

Watch the pushrod clearance!

I agree with the previous poster . . . I built mine per the RVAtor plans, and had some interference issues - others have had the same issue.

I'd recommend building them mostly per the RVAtor plans, but build them about 3/4 inch less "deep" than what the plans call for. Otherwise the aileron push tubes will hit your footwells at the bottom front portion of the footwell. I was able to build them in about 3-4 hours.

Rick

My father fabricated these from scratch and they've worked out perfectly with no clearance issues. I'm not sure how they size up against the RVator or RV-8 footwells, but they really make a huge difference versus the stock RV-4 arrangement.

The big trick now is figuring out an effective foot pedal arrangement for the passenger.

2010-02-21RVoverallprogressphotos16.jpg

Here again not the answer to your question but another way of doing things. I wouldnt trade a full footwell for a heel cutout. My passengers have been very apreciative over the years for the extra room. A couple of pictures show the final product in my 4 and the construction photo's are of my rocket. I am still not that computer savy so I hope I did this right.
Ryan

http://tinypic.com/m/9px0yo/3

Thoughts on "4" Footwells

I've attached 2 pics from my install. I used the RVator plans but found out I needed to make a slight mod to clear the Aileron Pushrod. The front angle of the well is longer than the back one thus giving the pushrod the required room.

footwellsa.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

footwellsb.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My 2 cents....Good Luck!

RV8 Footwell Part Numbers

The RV8 footwell part numbers are:

Left Side:
F-829C-L-1 (footwell)
F-829B-L-1, F-829D-L-1 (footwell sides)

Right Side:
F-829C-R-1 (footwell)
F-829B-R-1, F-829D-R-1 (footwell sides)

Note that in the RV8 the footwells are riveted onto the F-829A-1 Front Seat Floor Assembly (includes F-830B-1, F-805C-1 floor stiffeners; the hinge section for the front seat back; five K1000-8 platenuts) . Judging from the photos of RV4 cockpits I've seen the footwells could be adapted to the comparable RV4 floor assembly with a little sheetmetal work.

Good luck,
Mike

Back