What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView not showing pitch trim position

tomkk

Well Known Member
I'm running SkyView 12 installed from Van's site. I have a pitch trim position indicator in the lower right corner of the EMS display but it's blank - no indication of trim position.

The trim motor operates correctly and I've checked the pins on both sides of the connector on the trim motor and they are correct. I've also checked continuity from the trim motor connector pin 3 (PTRIM SERVO POSITION) to the Control Module (WH-00046 pin 4). After that I get a bit lost in the schematics but I think the rest is purely between the Control Module, EMS Module and the D1000T.

I do not have an Autopilot Knob Module if that's relevant.

I don't see any setup that would affect this.

Am I missing something? What else can I check to shoot the problem?

I had a similar problem. Trim operated correctly but I had no trim position indicator on the screen. Mine turned out to be a bad crimp on the white/green signal wire in the tail cone. Replaced the connector and it worked.

That's what I thought it might have been but I had good continuity from the tail cone all the way to the Control Module. The motor side of the connector looks good.

I had the same problem that

My solution was to go into the setup menu, then hardware calibration, pitch trim. When I did the calibration procedure the trim position indicator magically appeared. I had to look through the setup menu several times to finally locate this cal. All this is from memory so the exact procedure and nomenclature might not be 100% correct. I'll go check my Skyview later tonight or tomorrow morning and report back.

Thanks, Doug. I tried to go that route earlier. You were real close, it's in Hardware Config > ADAHRS Config > Trim Motor Config. The problem is that choice is dim (not selectable) . It says "Trim Motor Config (No SV-AP-PANEL)". Hard to believe we'd require that panel just to get a trim position indicator but, I suppose, possible.

try this

Hardware calibration, ems calibration, elev calibration. That's how I got mine to work, sitting in the plane now looking at it. I set my takeoff trim arbitrarily by a time count of halfway between stops. Probably not the correct TO trim but it's someplace to start. I do have the latest version firmware from Van's (12.1?) . Hope it helps.

Hi Tom, Doug is right; the 'Wizard' is listed as 'Elev calibration', not Trim. I did mine 2 days ago & was about to give up when I found it after 15 mins of button pushing! Cheers, DEAN...

You nailed it Doug, thanks. I must have been through those calibration settings a dozen time and never saw that setting in the EMS section.

Thanks for taking the time to find it.

Glad to help! Even if you started your build after mine and have nearly caught and passed me ;). My -12 is all ready to fly but it is in my shop,,,,,, at home. Now I'll have to build a trailer to get to the airport. And I need transition training, and I travel to work in nuclear plants all over the US and abroad. Just got back today from 3 weeks in Belgium, go back on Sunday for 2 more. You will probably fly before I do.Best of luck, sounds like you're close to first flight and keep us all posted.
DBR

Getting closer but mine is still in my garage. Planning to move it to the hanger in a couple of weeks - guessing a month or so to inspection. I still have my "transition training" to go as well but mine might be a bit more extensive - haven't been PIC in 30 years :(. Hopefully it'll be like getting back on a bike :)

I'm current

In a C162. And I did fly 1.5 hrs with Mike Seager at the RV-12 expo in June. 412RV flies like a dream, think it and it happens. My DAR came to my shop for the airworthiness inspection. Registration returned from KC in less than 3 weeks, you're closer than you think. I was more worried about the registration/ AW process than the building part. Turns out it's about as easy as the build. When I was done with the PAP it was ready for the airworthiness inspection.

Getting closer but mine is still in my garage. Planning to move it to the hanger in a couple of weeks - guessing a month or so to inspection. I still have my "transition training" to go as well but mine might be a bit more extensive - haven't been PIC in 30 years :(. Hopefully it'll be like getting back on a bike :)

I'll bet you find this is the case. Give Jetguy a call on the training.

Last edited:
thanks Bill

I haven't seen that thread before. Gotta love this bunch of guys, the collective knowledge here is impressive! Now off to the shop to set that TO trim correctly.

Now I'll have to build a trailer to get to the airport.
DBR

Unless you have further plans for it, a trailer is not necessary to take your plane to the airport: just rent a truck! You can see the kind of truck I rented on my builder blog, nothing you would not find in a Uhaul parking lot.

Good idea

That is also an option. I'm currently planning on keeping the airplane at home, unless I find an inexpensive hangar option. Hopefully I can design a trailer that can carry the -12 and also double as a car trailer. Don't have one of those in my inventory. But the truck rental option is brilliant, thanks JP.

It is amazing how these gifts keep on giving! I sat for hours trying to figure out why my trim would not show on the Skyview! Came home, did a search, and came up with this post. Went out this morning and got it all set up in less than 5 minuts total. I equated "elev" with altitude and never even went there, never suspecting it apparently refers to elevator. Thanks for posting this!
Hardware calibration, ems calibration, elev calibration. That's how I got mine to work, sitting in the plane now looking at it. I set my takeoff trim arbitrarily by a time count of halfway between stops. Probably not the correct TO trim but it's someplace to start. I do have the latest version firmware from Van's (12.1?) . Hope it helps.

Elevator?

It is amazing how these gifts keep on giving! I sat for hours trying to figure out why my trim would not show on the Skyview! Came home, did a search, and came up with this post. Went out this morning and got it all set up in less than 5 minuts total. I equated "elev" with altitude and never even went there, never suspecting it apparently refers to elevator. Thanks for posting this!

I don't think we have one of those on our 12's

Back