VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-26-2018, 08:53 AM

Default tanks

I thought the ER tank installation was pretty straight forward. Everything fit as it was supposed to, and as far as mods go, it was pretty painless.

I am pretty sure that the time involved with installing the ER tanks would be much less than fabricating tanks from the wingtips. Don't forget to account for the dynamic loads imposed on the wingtip attachment due to 5-6 gallons of fuel moving around in them...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-26-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Yes.

I'm pondering that right now as I finish epoxying and riveting the attachment piano hinges.

I can always do a chin-up on the wingtip to test a static load equivalent to 30 # of fuel at 6G, but dynamic loads are a different matter. How fast do I jump up and down on the wingtip to test that? Furthermore, what's the consequence of an in-flight failure of a wingtip/integral tank if the hinge unzips under load? Likely the jetsam would clear the empennage, but would the aileron be compromised? Would the lateral imbalance be uncontrollable? Doubtful in either case, but not possible to spitball with complete confidence.

I do know that with reasonable care I could pull this off for far less than 3 AMU and gain an extra 10 gallons. Time and frustration are another matter.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 01-26-2018, 01:16 PM

I don't intend to call my -7 a 6 G a/c with fuel in the aux tanks. I'd consider it utility category at best; probably closer to 'normal' category in terms of G load ratings. I bet if you look at the docs for any commercially produced aux tanks, they'll say the same thing.

Just something to think about.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Default You raise a good point.

As usual

I am accustomed to having that 6G figure (9G ultimate) in my head from 20 years of RV-6A ownership. The 10 is not considered aerobatic, and likely rated for lesser loadings. But I can't find that on the Van's website, and I just looked. What's the most G the airframe of the -10 is intended to handle in turbulence and maneuvering?

Old 01-26-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
As usual
What's the most G the airframe of the -10 is intended to handle in turbulence and maneuvering?
This from Van's website: "The design operational stress limit for the RV-10 is standard category (+3.8/-1.5 G)".
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 01-26-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
As usual

I am accustomed to having that 6G figure (9G ultimate) in my head from 20 years of RV-6A ownership. The 10 is not considered aerobatic, and likely rated for lesser loadings. But I can't find that on the Van's website, and I just looked. What's the most G the airframe of the -10 is intended to handle in turbulence and maneuvering?
And to add clarity for those that may not know......

The RV-6A (and all of the other RV models approved for aerobatics for that matter) is approved for 6 G's at a specified aerobatic weight that is lower than the approved max. gross weight.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-26-2018, 02:40 PM

So I guess that means 3.8G operational and 1.5 * 3.8 = 5.7G ultimate? Pretty close to 6G, there.

The other load-determining factor is the all-up weight of the fully-built-out wingtip, with fuel in tank.

I think my first step beyond asking here is to temporarily baffle the tip, line with a trash bag, and see how many gallons of water the shape holds. Work calculations from there.

Last edited by Bill Boyd : 01-26-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:52 PM

Hi Scott,

Since you brought it up...

It really would be good if kit makers (including Van's) would include the category in their spec sheets. I can just about guarantee that there are owners (even builder-owners) out there that don't realize the acro-capable models have lower gross weight ratings for acro.

All it would take is an extra few keystrokes to include the info (fantasy numbers...):

"Gross weight: 5000 lbs (normal category)
4000 lbs (utility category)
3000 lbs (aerobatic category)"

Charlie
Old 01-26-2018, 03:11 PM

I'm not trying to talk you out of this, if it's what you want. But I don't think you should use the excuse of IFR operations to do it, as long as you're willing to fly LOP. LOP you have nearly 6 hours to empty. That gives you 4 hours to destination, 1 hour to alternate, nearly 1 hour reserve. And, quite honestly, you may well find yourself second guessing things, if an alternate is needed and the nearest one is an hour away. So the tanks really are for if you often want to do a trip that's more like 5 hours away - assuming your bladder capacity is at least 6 hours (if you need to go to the alternate). OR, if you want to run 75% power ROP at 14 gal/hr. Then, the tanks look attractive.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:11 PM

Bill,

The 1.5 multiplier is for *ultimate* load (that means permanent distortion/failure).