What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

New Panel

We have just finished out test flying and are now waiting for our Permit to Fly (UK), so whilst we are waiting I thought I would post a piccie of our panel.

We wanted an aircraft that we could use for long distance touring around Europe, and maybe beyond. We also wanted to be able to fly from either side, so if there were two pilots flying (there are three of us in the syndicate) the relevant flight instruments would be right in front of them rather than having to look across the cockpit - anyway that is our excuse for three AFS screens!

Normal caveats - AFS, Vertical Power, TruTrack and Stein have all been absolutely brilliant with their customer service.

GGERT%20Cockpit.jpg

Mark - Neither was working for me at first, but now both are - strange?

Cool looking stuff.

Early this year, Floyd Packard purchased my 7A, Oliver III. I had a Day/Night VFR traditional Six Pack panel installed originally. Floyd wanted to do serious IFR and really did an outstanding panel upgrade in Ollie using GRT displays and a 430 Garmin all coupled to an autopilot. WOW!!! The panel is completed and will be installed over the next week or so.

Here is a shot of the original panel and the new one prior to installation. Tell us all about this beautiful upgrade, Floyd.

Roberta

panel7us0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

floydpackardsrv7a1un6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks Roberta for posting the picture. I just finished my IFR ticket with with Bob Miller of "Over the Airwaves" in Buffalo NY. We did it in 9 days with a G1000. It made it so much easier with the glass that I knew that is what I wanted. Gary at aerotronics put this together for me. It has GRT HXs, 430W, TT2VSGV, PMC8000B, sl40, sl70. I added heated pitot and weather to the GRT. It may not be as sophisticated as the G1000 but I could not afford the G1000 and I hope it will help with the situational awareness. I changed out the standard black air vents with stein vents. Switches are Honeywell led. I will keep the original throttle quadrant. Standard backup gages with tt adi and battery backup. We will mount the GRT EIS under the panel and that freed up space for a glove compartment. The hole above the glove compartment is for a future 406 ELT when ACK come out with them. I have not flown it yet but I am hoping it performs as I hope. One thing for sure it will be nice to be able to look at a map without busting limits due to an autopilot.
Floyd

Very nice

The attention to detail really shows here. I especially like how the top of the radio stack is even with the top of the GRTs. Result is a clean, professional look. :)

I always felt it was not what was on the panel that makes it look good as much as the balance and symmetry. Floyd's got one nice package, there!

Roberta

Wow Mark! The finished product turned out REALLY nice - WELL DONE!! It was a pleasure working with you, even with some of the frustrations with interantional shipping and such...overall you should be really proud - it turned out gorgeous!

Cheers,
Stein

No idea why my original link worked for a few hours and then stopped working! - so here is another go:

GGERT%20Cockpit.jpg

I see you have dual throttles on the left and right. I though about doing the same but was not sure how. Can you give us some details on how you did it with pictures?

Wow Mark! The finished product turned out REALLY nice - WELL DONE!! Stein

I agree with Stein....the panel looks amazing...and with great balance and symmetry.

However.....there is virtually no leg room left and I suspect that will prove to be a considerable disappointment for Mark (and his passengers) over time.

In my humble opinion this panel is a matter of form taking precedence over function. The panel appears to be XL overdeep (perhaps 1" deeper than standard) and then an accessory strip of at least another 1" has been placed on the bottom of that. The centre console then chews up HUGE amounts of space. And on top of that there seems to be side throttle quadrants taking up additional space in both the pilot and passenger sides.

This is unlikely to be a relaxed comfortable cabin for long hauls...certainly for guys over 6ft.

I've been flying recently in a couple of RVs that have deep panels and centre consoles. It is amazing how restrictive and uncomfortable they are. Absolutely no-where to sprawl out the legs and get relaxed. I was convinced within 20 minutes that it was not for me. The legs-straight-out-in-front posture gets very annoying very quickly.

My plan is to go for extreme cabin comfort as my number one priority and then work my panel around that.

My tip is that side-by-side RV Builders who are toying with the idea of cramped cabins should hitch a ride in a similar configuration before they commit.

Last edited:
Superb.

I have to agree with you Bob. (You have a way with words.)
It IS a beautiful panel.

Congratulations, Mark. Superb job. If I was flying UK WX, I would have all that and more. In fact, it is so neat, I suspect you must be a Mac IT bloke.

Pete.

PS. Bob, come down for a Christmas drink and I'll explain it to you.

Pete.

Yes, beautiful panel but I'll chime in on the extended panel comments.

I extended my panel and inch and half. I, nor passengers, have experienced the discomfort to which Bob refers. Just another opinion.

Last edited:
I like the passenger warning:

"This aircraft has not been certificated to an international standard"

Wish we could use that wording in the USA.

Yes, beautiful panel but I'll chime in on the extended panel comments.

I extended my panel and inch and half. I, nor passengers, have experienced the discomfort to which Bob refers. Just another opinion.

My panel is extended 2" at a slight angle. My legs will rub against it while getting seated, but it has no effect on leg room in flight. However, I do like my knee having the ability to flop over to the right for semi-relaxtion. Otherwise, my toes go under the rudder pedals for long flights. I'm 6'1".

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

Thanks for everyones very kind comments about our panel.

We have just finished testing, which included a mandatory minimum timed flight of 2 hours, in fact we were in the air for around 2.5 hours and we both felt perfectly comfortable. The throttle quadrants were positioned very carefully so that they are placed above our legs but lie comfortably to hand with the forearm on the side rest. As a matter of interest, maybe the picture is misleading, but the panel is absolutely standard Vans issue, no extra depth. The additional panel placed underneath is approx 1.2 inches which allows us to pull our legs up if needed. I do however agree with you (Capt Avgas) about the centre console; if I had the time again I would make it as narrow as possible - it does however make it very easy to get in and out as you have something substantial to push against.

Form over function - maybe? But I do hope not. We spent what seemed to be months and months planning the panel. The concept was to allow both pilots to be able to fly from either side (as our syndicate is three pilots who regularly want to fly together, well two at a time anyway!). That is why we went for the AFS panels directly in front of both seats, so no pilot has to look across the instrument panel for their primary flight information. Placement of standby instruments below the primary display was planned as the pilot has to normally look slightly down to the primary EFIS display, however in the event of failure, he would naturally be looking down to the EFIS - but just a little lower down to the standby instruments, rather than having to consciously think where they had been placed. One of our syndicate is ex RAF with more hours and experience that I can count to, he spent hours thinking about the appropriate position of switches etc so that their function was appropriately placed to match their use in different modes in flight.

After functional planning we did, I admit, spend almost as long trying to make sure that the position of everything was lined up, with similar gaps around instruments etc! I suppose the main thing is that we are absolutely delighted with the panel. That's what I absolutely love about our RVs, everyone is different and can, and does, build what is right for them.

DanH mentioned the warning placard: the words are mandated by our Light Aircraft Association, LAA (the UK version of your EAA).

Naruto; the dual throttle quadrants were in fact very simple to set up, you will find a few pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Mark.CastleSmith/DropBox#

The throttle and prop cables attach either side of the throttle and governor arms using standard practice in terms of large washers other side of the rose joints etc. Hopefully one of the pictures will explain all. The main issue was the passenger quadrant wording was backwards (as we had to turn the quadrant around 180 degrees). We solved the issue by milling the top of the bracket by the depth of the wording, milling new wording on the bracket and reanodising - worked well.

The AFS panels and the Tru Track are stunning products - can't wait for the AFS upgrade and European maps.

Can't finish without words of praise for Stein for customer service- outstanding.

N517DG panel

I worked with Avionics Systems on my panel. The panel color is blue. Thought that would make the silkscreens pop out, and it's color matched to the blue inserts on the classic aero seats.

DSCN0202.sized.jpg

Super simple, day/VFR panel, designed and installed by me...allows for future expansion of a second Enigma. No autopilot yet, that will go where the green cover is on the left. The other green cover is where the EXPBUS enunciator panel would've gone, had I used it. It will now be a secondary switch panel, including smoke...:cool:...and the ELT remote switch.

1-3-09-005w.jpg

1-3-09-006w.jpg

Now the fun of wiring begins...after I re-read the Aero Electric Connection for the 50th time!

Panel Cutting Complete

The panel cutting is complete.

I would have loved to have this thing laser or water jet cut but since I am on the frugal build plan, I decided to cut it myself by hand.

Used the original panel as a template to make a new panel stock + 1.5" tall. Used Autocad to layout a full size template and then center punched all the corners and spotted the component holes. I am unsure about the diameter needed for some things so I just drilled a pilot hole in those places.

I decided I wanted a different switch type for the elevator trim and the one that comes with the servo fit the bill. It has a nice soft touch feel and also includes a feature to short the motor when released to minimize coasting. This should help prevent getting the flaps and trim confused.

I had a nice flange bent on the bottom of this panel at work on a pressbrake. Too bad that after a few days a crack developed all along the radius. I just took some seaming pliers to it and it broke right off. So I decided to just rivet on a piece of angle at the bottom:

r93mhd.jpg

Here is the goal for this panel:

2mc658z.jpg

And here it is to date, just need to spend about $16K to fill her up!:

2823zh1.jpg

Ain't them Stein Vents Purdy?

Last edited:
My Panel

Here is a few photos of my IFR panel. The screen on the far right is a Sony XAVW1 DVD/Entertainment Unit that has a DVD player, iPod adapter, Sirius satellite module, and (2) cameras connected to a toggle switch that will display the area below and behind me with a quick flick of a switch. Other items include a Smoking Airplanes SA-101H smoke system, VP-200, SL-30, AFS-3400 EFIS, GPSMAP-496 w/ weather, GTX-330 w/ traffic, PMA9000EX Audio Panel w/ Bluetooth, and a GNS-430W coupled to a DigiFlight II VSGV Autopilot

panel.jpg

panel2.jpg

Here is a few photos of my IFR panel.

Hi Byron, the panel looks to be fibreglass with flat aluminium inlays. Who was the source of the actual panel and what did it cost.

Also, just interested, what do you plan to use to keep the dirty side down in the event that the AFS EFIS fails in IMC.

Hi Byron, the panel looks to be fibreglass with flat aluminium inlays. Who was the source of the actual panel and what did it cost.

Also, just interested, what do you plan to use to keep the dirty side down in the event that the AFS EFIS fails in IMC.

Bob, the company that cut and designed the fiberglass panel with the aluminum is no longer in business. Eric McDonald at Redmond Air in Redmond, OR finished the panel for me and use to work at the shop that I had build it. He may be able to have the resources to customize a fiberglass panel design.

If the EFIS fails in IMC I have a switch that directly couples the 430W to the A/P to keep the wings level and you can even fly the flight plan from the 430W if in an emergency condition. The GPSMAP 496 is not certified but will also provide helpful information the event of an emergency. I use to fly a 1974 Cessna 172M with only one horizon, I feel I have more of a safety factor with this set up than I did with that plane and only plan on flying light IFR if needed anyways to get up on top.

I'll agree with the Swiss cheese comment. Make sure you have enough support for the weight of all instruments times 3 at least. You don't want your glass to end up in your lap.

Last edited by a moderator:
had to laugh about the swiss cheese statement... definitely applies here ;-)
in the end we're building our personal airliner... definitely way overkill for vfr, hehe.
the top left and right corners of the instruments also are a pretty narrow fit with the tipup reinforcement. the alignment was made, so that the rear top corner of the boxes nestle into the outermost "hole" of the reinforcement. distance between is fine, though.
we plan on "interlocking" the various display units with an angle to care for stability.

rgds,
bernie

It's really starting to look like a real panel!!! Very exciting!!!:D

Still need...

3" electric attitude or turn coordinator
Garmin CDI for SL30
Magnetic compass
ELT little control panel thing

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

Funny I just noticed the trail still on the Lowrance from the last time it flew in a rental.
P3.jpg

Still lots more wiring to do, but this is where it's at today.
P4.jpg

panel

Jeff,
Looks awsome!! Did you have to move the panel support ribs to get the dynon
in? love to see a pic of that if you did.

Thanks Glenn! I did chop off both support ribs to make room for the Dynons. Now that most everything is in, I can start on the new ribs. I'll post some more pictures once I get them done.

L@@ks Great

Jeff,

Like the panel. Just got my finish kit in the yesterday
and looking forward to putting everything together. Like
the layout BUT I am still a STEAM guy. Like the choice of
Gps's though.

See ya in the Air. Winchester.3030

Panel Update

Have been working on the panel and the wiring over the past couple of months. Most of it is resolved - a few indicator lamps and isolator switches yet to be installed. Minor mods to the centre console since the last pics - I moved the Ignition Key Switch to the bottom LHS of the panel (and committed to installing starter switches with isolator to the Grips). This allowed space for the Ray Allen Trim indicators to be located mid upper in the centre console. Essentially the Centre Console now provides all the fuel management (switches/indictors/selector) for the four tanks with the addition of the trim indicators.

Quadrant and cables have been fitted but now removed - centre console is about to go in for powder coating (matt black).

There is still a big hole for a GNS430W. I am not IFR rated (yet) so can't bring myself to spending the $$$ (yet). Shame. On the basis that I have wired using the Approach Fast-Stack cable system this is an easy upgrade.

Too embarrassed to show you the rats nest behind the sub panel !

dsc0102ul4.jpg
[/URL]

[/IMG]

Last edited:
The panel finally flies

I plan on flying some IFR with this panel and autopilot. I have a GRT Horizon 1, Garmin 496 panel mount for backup and weather (flight plans are filled automatically from the GNS 430).
SL30 NavCom
PS Engineering audio panel
Tru Trak ADI
Tru Trak Digiflight II VSGV
GRT EIS monitor
Garmin transponder
First flight was Feb 1, 2009 and the meter just rolled over 24 hrs today.

022509005.jpg

D. Calland
RV 7-A
Lyc 0-360 A1A
Hartzell blended airfoil constant speed prop.

Nice Panel!

That panel almost gave me a skygasm!!!:D

Very efficient layout and shows good planning from a human factors and redundancy standpoint.

You don't see many folks fitting all of those goodies and still having room for a nice map box.

See you at S&F!

Coming Down The Home Stretch

Here is an updated photo of my panel with the interior installed. Hope to have her flying in the next few weeks :)

Panel.jpg

I'm wondering aobut the switches and indicators below the right AFS 3400 that look vaguely like they're from Vertical Power, but not in an arrangement I've seen before.:confused:

Answers to your questions...

Rear mounted vertical power? that's what it looks like..

Radomir is correct. The switch panel for the VP is rear mounted for a sleaker look.

As for the Sony unit. It gives the passenger more options than flying Jet Blue! :) It is a touch screen DVD player, CD player, has an iPod adapter module , and a Sirius satellite radio module. I also have an auxiliary mini jack cable in the event that is not enough options and a passenger brings his or her own audio player with them. This DVD player also has camera inputs connected to it. I have a color video camera mounted on the exterior of the plane facing down (blind spot below the wings) as well as one facing back behind the airplane. During any given time you can flip a three way switch I have mounted right under the panel and select any of these (2) cameras to display on the screen without interrupting any audio being played through it. Basically for you tech heads, I used the reverse camera input video connection on the Sony automotive stereo unit and wired these to a three way DPDT switch that activates the selected cameras such as when you put your car in reverse to activate a rear view camera installed in some cars as a factory option.

As far as where you can get the Sony unit. Mike Starkey was nice enough to give you a direct link on his post to where you can get it and as always Mike figured out the exact model number and he even knew where I purchased it? Hmmmm, Mike have you been going through my building receipts? LOL :)

Last edited:
Back