What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternatives to double-offset rivet set?

spaceflightmeow

There are plenty of threads here expressing exasperation or defeat after attempting to use a double-offset rivet set for 1/8" AN470 rivets. It is a tricky job: one hand bucks, the other hand squeezes the trigger, and a third hand (or duct tape) keeps the double-offset rivet set from rotating or bouncing off the rivet head.

I came across a couple of potential alternative rivet sets that might work better. Has anyone used these and can you comment on how well these work?

J flush set. Has a 3/16" hole to install squeeze sets or dimple dies.
https://www.yardstore.com/riveting/rivet-sets/specialty-rivet-sets/new/j-set-1-4-12-piece-flush-set
10168_2.jpg

Elephant leg with 3/16" hole (takes squeeze sets or dimple dies)
https://www.yardstore.com/riveting/rivet-sets/specialty-rivet-sets/new/elephant-leg-0-401-to-0-187
10766_2.jpg

Elephant leg with 0.401 shaft (a J-shaped set into which you install another set?? Seems like that would be awkward).
https://www.yardstore.com/riveting/rivet-sets/specialty-rivet-sets/new/elephant-leg-0-401
10767_2.jpg

Anything with an offset is going to cause the same issues. Geometry; not tool. The options you picture are likely to cause more issues; not less. You'll have to manage the set itself flopping around in the adapter, in addition to managing the adapter trying to rotate in the gun, and the gun trying to drive the set at an angle.

You didn't mention where you're trying to rivet. If you're doing something like the ribs to spar, I settled on a long, straight set. The longer straight set allows minimizing the angle caused by the width of the gun. Hitting the rivet head at just a few degrees off perpendicular (or if you bend the rib sideways a bit, true perpendicular) worked much better for me than any variation of offset set.

FWIW...

Charlie

The longer set is a good suggestion. Also, wrapping tape (I used medical tape) around the rivet set and the gun helped to limit the rotation of the offset set, when it was absolutely necessary to use it.

Chris

I got an elephant foot but did not like it, too springy. Ultimately I never really needed to use it. For the longest time I could not drive a good rivet with a double offset. Tape did not work for me. A couple of clamps and piece of baffle material did the job, cheap to try it out. Good luck, use lots of tape on the set and practice.
vNstURSn__a66U0GMCsR9Z9CEUqMDDYXsVw2UAI-Wx4q4q9W-W9KJ5AWFs9ih3Ygj9oC6XBLat8qpgSugp56ZPHe4kXEJdgtAvQQrQBb5lFn-QvCClHjJ5JEMOyGet3BGkAVv4WENuROpaM3yZcdgtX7H48hs0ae2cGqaxuwfkpHTKjjoGg1hcFomBBg8_SS2P4ebNWiz89JvHFtmaU55_GVIcqfWnaLke3cWnnYAZf0E2VvQkwwAg2NjfWx43IcMoCt2lv0FyMU2P1cdfioCKAtvnpxSm5liY2Z4hDNE6CfullY4cr4SyfpUhJhxvZkYM_r3lrsOS-Te1smWbs_O-YnZQGFw5hSnY1LSRgFqO6dwLPNKB9Z09owwb314BfThEbWBNmv44T2Gc3Qqy47gyD25R3opoGzPKo76Ownq_5KEjDVposCNDmFdZ1_cyXNE9iI4QetfgvX6x0IuAOGwol4rwy30C5TDIVJCklitl03CHp4Yw42I6_IyYXkIQ_Vf7OOf476H_inHu0OxozW8hpIBdgZ7In9JpUoyTJKUHNzNkJzh68Kwy9vvMxcZHN4LOkBCxB5xnR9FZOH1y4XlvqYvXDfzAFTfFJA3dk=w545-h726-no

Bill, thats a great photo. I will try and use my offset again now. Prior to your post, it was never coming out of the tray again.

Back