What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Running conduit to the firewall

Jasonm

Well Known Member
I wanted to get other builder's thoughts on running conduit all the way to the firewall. I have four 3/4" runs (2 per side) that start from the baggage bulk head and run up to the firewall. My intent is to extend these up the left and right sides of the firewall and secure them up under/behind the panel. Anyone else doing this?

2zxqnur.jpg

ot0xt1.jpg

k57cw.jpg

Thanks
Jason

ot0xt1.jpg

Is that your main battery cable?? Why did you run it up the right side?? The starter contactor is on the left side of the firewall.

As far as running the conduits under like you did, seems to make sense. You will clean up a lot of wire runs, but a few circuits will need extra wire length.

I chose to run the battery cable on the right side since that's where I'll be installing the starter contactor (I have my reasons) and all "powered" circuits will run along the right side and all "control" and "comm" runs will be located on the left.

Not feelin it. You'll still need to run side wires back for the wings. You'll never be able to see the battery cable again. You'll have to do something about the hole covers up front and the wiring will make access to the engine mount bolts difficult to impossible. You need to torque check those occasionally. Also, I try to avoid wiring against the firewall when possible.

One thing you won't be able to see at this point is how very difficult that area is to access with all the trimmings installed. Anything forward of the first bulkhead on the floor or further up is almost impossible to reach, especially when the rudder pedals are installed.
Like others have mentioned, most of your wiring has to go to the instrument panel and running it up and along the sidewall is probably the best installation method.
Trim wire bundles from elevator and wings along with AP wire bundles.
ADAHRS wire bundles and lighting from the wings all terminate somewhere behind the panel. You wouldn't want to run those under the floor and up the firewall. Probably won't hurt anything to have that battery cable where it is but it sure looks inconvenient to me.
Furthermore, having a solid battery cable run lends itself handily to attach other wires to it.

thanks all

this is the feedback i was looking for. it's easy enough to pull back the conduit at this point, although i will keep the battery cable on the right side.

jason

Good move on the conduit :rolleyes:.
I like to run my battery cable on the sides of the cabin (not up through the forward floor) regardless if it's left or right. I don't like seeing wires and cables running along the firewall.

this is the feedback i was looking for. it's easy enough to pull back the conduit at this point, although i will keep the battery cable on the right side.

jason

Back