What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this corrosion?

guidoism

These parts sat in my garage in California about 10 miles from the ocean for several years. Ugh. I'm far away from the ocean now but dang, I was hoping that I wouldn't need to prime. I'll probably be scotchbriting this and killing my alclad, yes?

Z84rh6Z.jpg

corrosion

Looks like lite corrosion. I primed my RV-7A. On my Cherokee, I would clean off the corrosion with lite scotch brite and spray with LP3 Corrosion X.

Surface oxidation, a type of very mild corrosion. It will clean right up and might even wipe off with a solvent and mild abrasive. It takes quite a bit of grunt to sand through the Alclad.
Nothing to worry about, but this is why the factory on QB?s, and many builders use a wash primer. Just enough protection to keep this from happening.

It doesn?t matter what your environment is, Alclad will eventually show signs of oxidation, it may take many, many years or it could happen in a few short weeks in a bad environment.

Back