What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip hinge

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
For those who put the wingtip on with a hinge:

How many screws did you use top and bottom at the leading edge? On older models it seems the screws didn?t go so far forward as in the 14.

I have quick build wings, so the holes were predrilled. I used 3 screws on the top and 3 screws on the bottom with the hinges extending aft from there. Seemed to be about right to me. If your wings are not quick build, you could use fewer screws.

I didn?t know fitting the wingtips was part of the quick build. That?s a good service.

I got my tips fitted, filed and drilled per the plans gonna sleep on the hinges and start fresh on it tomorrow. The best example here previously showed no screws. But I just wonder if the hinge pin will make it around. But it?s not much diff thank the cowling.

Also I think the W-1016-L wing tip ribs have to be switched left for right so that the flanges point in toward the aileron. Don?t you need that for a good place to secure the pins?

I haven't seen any exposed screws on the hinge-mounted tips. The piano hinge doesn't need to bend all the way around and give 100% coverage, it only needs to go as far as the gentle curve of the airfoil. Where the curve starts to sharpen up, leave that unhinged. It'll be something like a 3-4" length around the tip, which will be just fine without a screw.

I installed wing tips using the hinge method and I did not use any screws. The flange on the tip is removed and used as a spacer under one side of the hinge. However, I left the flange on the tip at the forward edge - about 4 inches back, ending the hinge at the flange. There were 2 (maybe 3?) pre drilled holes top and bottom that were then over the flange. Rather than screws, I dimpled the holes and filled them with cosmetic flush rivets (I cut notches in the flange to accommodate the shop heads).

I fitted my wingtips with piano hinge and I was glad I did. Somewhere on VAF you will find reference to step by step instructions (with images) from a 7 builder years ago. They were relatively easy to follow. From memory I have about twice as many rivets as there are screws in the plans. Very neat.

I?m halfway done going by the Bullock instructions in Kitplanes. I did take the hinge to the last hole and it is a little tough to get the pin all the way there. I?m shaping the tip some as done for the cowling and bending the pin to fit well. I haven?t sanded the gap yet might wait for the painter on that. It doesn?t take much fitment change to change the aft edge alignment. All the holes are drilled. Next is to fit and mark one more time with alignment marks for the edges because you can?t have the alignment tool in and run the pins in and out easily. I think I will countersink and set the tip side of the hinge then fit for alignment, pull the hinge,pin then set all the wing side rivets.

I might decide later to make the last hole a screw if needed. Could cut the hinge to make that change. Thinking I might do it now. Might keep the forward edge from wanting to spring out on top. Bottom is no biggie.

Although on a -10, similar wingtip as the -14. I left the flange on the wingtip about 3.5" at the leading edge both top and bottom and ran the hinge to that. With the flange tucked in tight to the wing leading edge, there is no need for any screw fasteners anywhere besides to hold fast the trailing edge hinge pins from sliding aft.

I'm pleased with the hinge method. The tricky part for me was how to handle the trailing edge portion and how to make the hinge pins accessible and how to secure them.
wing778a.jpg

wing778.jpg

wing779.jpg

photo

Great picture. That is probably the best installation picture I have seen for both the piano hinge and Archer nav antenna together. I plan to follow suit on the RV-14 when I get to that point. Thanks again.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. My archer antenna is on the inside and here is the outside one tip done.

I have to say that working with the acrylic light cover is tough. It cuts easy with shears but finish sanding is a bear.

Last edited:
How did y’all handle the wing tip rib installation on the w-1015-l/r part? I didn’t take that into account so now the hinge extends into that area. I suppose I can trim some hinge as a spacer to put under it or better trim the part to just be where the hinge isn’t?

Last edited:
I think I will cheat it forward a bit and put a length of hinge on either side as a spacer. I will cut the loops off the spacers if I do that. Your way is good too though and I might have to change my mind because it puts the part in exactly the right place. But with the hinge spacer I think it moves it negligibly forward.

Back