- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Northwest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Tailwheel/type training?

Hi all,

I’m looking for a CFI in the Puget Sound region who can provide a tailwheel endorsement, preferably in an RV6 or 7. Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Marc
Friday Harbor, WA
Old 12-02-2019, 01:33 PM

Hi Marc,
If I understand your post correctly, you are looking for a cfi who can also provide an RV for your tail wheel training? Unfortunately such operations are prohibited by the FARs. You need to provide the airplane, or get the TW endorsement in something other than an experimental amateur built airplane.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:46 PM

Mike Seager is the best! Just a little south of you.

Phone: 503-709-4075
e-mail: rv6cfi@hotmail.com
Old 12-02-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Hi Marc,
If I understand your post correctly, you are looking for a cfi who can also provide an RV for your tail wheel training? Unfortunately such operations are prohibited by the FARs. You need to provide the airplane, or get the TW endorsement in something other than an experimental amateur built airplane.
I don't believe this statement is correct. Mike Seager has been doing this type of training in his (Van's leased?) RV7 for many years. I did my insurance required RV tail wheel transition in his RV7 at Vernonia, OR
RV8 N37PK

Last edited by SMRacer : 12-02-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:11 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRacer View Post
I don't believe this statement is correct. Mike Seager has been doing this type of training in his (Van's leased?) RV7 for many years. I did my insurance required RV tail wheel transition in his RV7 at Vernonia, WA
I believe Mike is only authorized for transition training in the RV he uses in an official capacity, but not for issuing a tailwheel endorsement.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 12-02-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRacer View Post
I don't believe this statement is correct. Mike Seager has been doing this type of training in his (Van's leased?) RV7 for many years. I did my insurance required RV tail wheel transition in his RV7 at Vernonia, WA
Mike is a special case because, as you point out, the airplane is coming from Vans, not Mike. Furthermore Vans demonstrators are not certified as EAB, but something else. So if the OP can find a third party in Seattle who will allow the OP to use the airplane for free, then the OP can hire any (appropriate) CFI to give him instruction. The limitations follow the airplane.

Everyone who has used Mike has only good things to say about the experience. An excellent suggestion.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Mike is a special case because, as you point out, the airplane is coming from Vans, not Mike. Furthermore Vans demonstrators are not certified as EAB, but something else.
Yup, "Experimental - Crew Training & Market Survey".
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned
Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
Hi all,

I’m looking for a CFI in the Puget Sound region who can provide a tailwheel endorsement, preferably in an RV6 or 7. Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Marc
Friday Harbor, WA
Wild Blue Aviation at Arlington (KAWO) offers TW instruction in a C-170A. Also, Snohomish Flying Service at Harvey Field (S43) offers TW instruction in a Champ.

Once you get the TW endorsement, you can get Transition Training from Mike Seager, as others have mentioned. Also, I notice Gary Brown in Independence, OR also has a LODA for Transition Training. Not sure how current the list is below, but Gary's current email address is calpilot123@gmail.com . He is on VAF as "calpilot".

EAA's list of LODA holders:

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/pilots/lette...s-loda-holders

Hope this helps.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 12-02-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 AM

Default Thank you

Thanks for all of the replies. I had no idea this discussion was taking place... only the first reply made it to my inbox.

So the FARs indeed prohibit using experimental aircraft for hire. But like all things in the FARs there are (thankfully) exceptions. Here’s an article that describes them which is a little easier to read: http://iflyamerica.org/flight_training_expermental.asp

I will follow up with the two contacts listed above. Thanks again for all of the replies! I look forward to my first flight in an RV.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:39 PM

That’s a nice reference you posted. Note, that things like a tailwheel endorsement are specifically excluded when operating under a LODA (waiver). Only transition training may be given. What is not mentioned is the insurance situation. Normal insurance does not cover flight instruction for hire, given to non-owners. Insurance to cover this is expensive, and a number of cfi’s (myself included) no longer offer transition training - it was a money-losing activity. Some high-volume instructors may still have it, others are uninsured. You should ask any proposed cfi about this, if it is a concern for you.