- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2019, 08:59 PM

And this appears to be steeper take off angle than I achieve

https://youtu.be/mi3q1ZsnNIY

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAhrens View Post
Hi Turbo69bird, RV's with lower HP engines are sensitive to weight. Sounds like you are over Van's recommended Gross weight as loaded. I do notice the difference with another person and full tanks over just me (180 pounds)and low tanks. Numbers for my plane are 1050 Emtpy weight. Stock O-320 engine with Sensenich 79 inch pitch Propeller. Full throttle static RPM is about 2250. Top speed is 190mph at 2600rpm down low (1500Feet). Prop can be oversped at almost any altitude. This rpm (2250) will not increase after takeoff until you lower the nose but the plane should continue to accelerate. Look up Vans numbers for Climb and speed numbers, you should be close.
Daverv6A
So my airplane is about 100 lbs heavier than yours and I’m about 50 lbs heavier so me alone is like you having a faa standard size passenger. Lol

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.

Last edited by Turbo69bird : 01-30-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:50 AM

Dave Anders figured that max climb would increase about 1 fpm for every pound removed from the plane.

You mentioned that the motor was rebuilt. If the cam was installed one tooth off, it would greatly effect the performance. This will not show up during a differential pressure test. But you might be able to see it with a COMPRESSION test.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 01-30-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo69bird View Post
Plugs looked good in fact had a little lead fouling which I felt was contradictory to the lean stumble I thought I was having.
Turns out it’s probably in line with rich stumble.

I watched a take off video of a
Bunch of vans aircraft today on YouTube and don’t feel they climbed out any different than mine.
And I feel like leaning it greatly improved it’s take off climb
Of course I was alone on that test flight. True measure will be a flight w passengers.

This is probably similar to my take off angle.

https://youtu.be/na2pxJCKeUs
each engine is different, however, I lean for take off and climb. Servo is simply too rich for my setup (FP). I also have a noticeable improvement in power/RPM by doing this. I have a standard I used for take off and need to enrich a bit as I taper off the climb AOA and the engine speeds up accordingly (RPMs come up, requiring more fuel). Yes, I have taken away some detonation margin by climbing at 125-150 ROP, but my engines cools well and personally have no issues with the approach. Just providing a data point, not a recommendation.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 01-30-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:03 PM

When you pulled the plugs, did all the plugs look exactly the same or did you notice 2 cylinders/plugs were running more rich than the other two?
Old 01-30-2020, 04:20 PM

Itís been a while but previously there were two plugs richer. All looked pretty rich. We changed half the plugs to keep them from building up lead.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
each engine is different, however, I lean for take off and climb. Servo is simply too rich for my setup (FP). I also have a noticeable improvement in power/RPM by doing this. I have a standard I used for take off and need to enrich a bit as I taper off the climb AOA and the engine speeds up accordingly (RPMs come up, requiring more fuel). Yes, I have taken away some detonation margin by climbing at 125-150 ROP, but my engines cools well and personally have no issues with the approach. Just providing a data point, not a recommendation.

Larry
Leaning definitely helped but I didn’t lean it through much and it’s CHTs got better which surprised me.

I leaned it about 1/4 inch out. So far for actual take offs

Old 01-30-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Dave Anders figured that max climb would increase about 1 fpm for every pound removed from the plane.

You mentioned that the motor was rebuilt. If the cam was installed one tooth off, it would greatly effect the performance. This will not show up during a differential pressure test. But you might be able to see it with a COMPRESSION test.
Conpressions have always been approx 78/80 though I think this past annual one was 76/80