What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit Engine?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Is there anyone that sells a new kit engine? Several years ago you could buy a Titan kit I believe but can't find any info now.

Thanks,

Both ECi (now Continental) and Superior offered kits at one time.

They stopped selling them some years ago, probably for a number of reasons.

I bought my ECi kit through A.E.R.O a number of years ago because you could never buy them directly from the manufacture. (I can't image the support challenge it would be for the kit engine manufactures, not to mention the liability.)

If you contact an engine builder, they will be more than happy to assemble the kit engine of your choice.

The kit engines relied on certain key parts from Lycoming or TCM. They simply raised the prices on those parts to the point where the kit engines were no longer competitive.

JB Engines in Sebring FL do a build your own engine course. They guide you through it all and test run the engine. Takes a couple of days.

The kit engines relied on certain key parts from Lycoming or TCM. They simply raised the prices on those parts to the point where the kit engines were no longer competitive.

Not exactly; the O-320 and O-360 kits included every part except the fasteners, they came in Lycoming boxes. My O-360 kit included ECi parts for everything else.

However, if you needed an (I)O-540, then you had to go to Lycoming for some of the required parts. ECi did come out with their own crankshaft at one point but I'm not sure if they still make it or not.

Since Continental bought ECi, there seems to be some uncertainty as to what their business plan is.

Is there anyone that sells a new kit engine? Several years ago you could buy a Titan kit I believe but can't find any info now.

Last I looked.....

Lycoming, no.

CMG/Titan, through Aviall, but word is it won't be cost effective.

Superior, through your favorite engine shop, possibly direct.

Any of it can change any time. It's three phone calls, so go for it.

Parts built.

Before E.C.I. was sold we used to go to someone like American Eagle in OK. and spec. out what we wanted. Now that they have made the move to Al., Jimmy Tubbs is no longer with them. However Bobby Lopper did make the move and should be able to tell you what or where you can go to spec. out a parts built engine. I would E-mail him and ask. Hope this helps, yours, R.E.A. III #80888

J anj J Air Parts

To the best of my knowledge:

Superior does not sell kits, J and J and ACS do. J and J will swap the cylinders for Titan at nominal cost if you want and are cheaper than ACS, but MAY not delete fuel, ignition, starter, I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if the oil filter adapter is angle or not but angle may be standard these days. Note Superior does not offer 14 mm plug threads. Superior does not offer oiled cams but piston squirters can be an option.

CMG offers what I think are good prices for built engines with 3 hour run in but have been slow to machine roller cases which is a $400 option. Oiled cams and piston squirters are standard I think. They were accommodating with deleting fuel, ignition, starter as I have a starter and am going with SDS EFI.

CMG offers what I think are good prices for built engines with 3 hour run in but have been slow to machine roller cases which is a $400 option.

I spoke with a Continental official about those roller lifters. Sounds like it's going to be late in 2017, at best.

Back