What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing aft crank shaft plug

David-aviator

Well Known Member
Anyone here who has successfully installed the aft crank shaft plug when going to CS prop?

How about a run down on how you did it and the tool used to spread the plug.

David, I don't have a response to your inquiry. But I have an RV8 io 360 with a Catto prop and I look forward to a performance comparison between your before and after. I hope you will do one.

Tool

See this thread: VAF Thread

Thought I had a picture but can not find it now. The one I made based on the above dimensions worked fine. Made it from wood and the plug drove home with little issue.
Link to some pictures I do have: Prop Swap

Last edited:
I used a wooden dowel and cut it so that it would fit around the oil tubes. Used that to get the plug started and mostly seated.

Just tapped it home with a long brass drift pin.

Worked great!

Thanks you-all for the info, sounds like is no big deal.

I called Rhonda at BPE this morning, she is sending a plug gratis...thank you young lady, you are the best. :)

I am very inclined to go forward with this upgrade when all the hoops with FAA medical are hopped through. Big challenge will be thorough eye test of the 25th.

Meanwhile, anyone here a fan of Emmylou Harris? She will be at Ryman Hall in Nashville on May 2. I got one of last tickets in 4th row from stage. :)

Brass or Alumimum

David we have used soft metal driffs to set the plugs as well works fine. They are much like an old expanding freeze plug in an automotive engine block, not hard to set, just a good hard whack with a two pound hammer.
Hope this helps, yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Crank plug

David I had to trim my plug to get it past the oil tube ,getting the pieced old plug out was the hard bit. Enjoy your c/s ,I am.

David I had to trim my plug to get it past the oil tube ,getting the pieced old plug out was the hard bit. Enjoy your c/s ,I am.

Allen Barrett called about installing that plug when assembling the engine. We decided it made no sense to install it and punch a hole in it, so it was not installed.

I imagined getting one out could be a challenge.

Thanks to all for info.

Back