What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tach and Mag questions

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello all,

Finishing up the install of the Dynon D-10 EMS and have everything nearly wired up except for the Tach. I've attached a pic of what I believe is the line used on my steam-gauge tach which runs into my cockpit. This has four wires (Red, Black, White, Brown) and all but the brown were used on my old tach. Looking at the Dynon instructions, is this considered a standard transducer? Should I just connect the red (I'm guessing) wire to the pin 32 using no resistor? What is the Brown wire for? Do the other wires need to go anywhere?

Thanks all!

Wingnut
LH75BIH.jpg

Vc63HaJ.png

Need more info on how the old gauge was wired to the transducer.

The transducer I used with my Dynon EMS-D10 required that i run 12V to the transducer. It then had a ground wire plus the output signal that went to the Dynon EMS-D10.

I used a UMA T1A9-1 that required the ship power to get the output pulse. It looks like they have doubled in price since I purchased mine.

Here are the required connections for the one I used that worked with LASAR mags and my Dynon EMS-D10.

Need more info on how the old gauge was wired to the transducer.
+1

Nothing left of the old wiring? Transducer make, model, wiring diagram? Ditto for Tach.

Typically:

Black is ground...
Red is 12v power in
White is the tachs output. So it would go to pin 32....

But without parts and/or old wiring verification...a guess. :(

That said, a Jesse recommendation would receive my highest consideration.

T.C.

Pretty sure what you have is a Hall Effect Magnetic Sensor.
JPI uses one in their tach units.
My search shows their unit is PN 420815-1 for Slicks series 6000/4000 non pressurized. (google--JPI 420815-1 for a pdf file)
They use three wires also:
Red=5v power
Black=Ground
Green= Signal (I would assume this is your White wire as it was used before in your previous set up.)

One thing to note is that the Hall Effect type senders only need one pickup from one mag. because it senses rotation from the mag's magnets rather than the ignition pulses. Plus usually they do not need resisters etc.
If you use the ignition source from the switch, you need to connect both mags so you don't loose signal while doing a mag check.

The hall effect sensors work differently than just picking up a pulse from the ignition and counting the pulses. They use a 5v current which is common on other types of transducers as well. So if Dynon doesn't sell their own transducers, seem they would support many types but you may have to re-read your instructions or call them to find where you get the 5v power and ground from to power a hall effect transducer.

BTW...JPI sells their Hall Effect transducers for around 300 bucks and personally I like the units over the two wires connected to the ignition switch with resistors inline....and I have done installations both ways and both work.

I think I found the sensor I'm using based off my UMA tach (see image). Looks like it takes 5-24V so I should be good just hooking this up to my bus and grounding the wire correct? The Dynon also had 5V output too that might be the safe bet.
Pickup.jpg

That looks just like the sensor i just installed in my mag for my new mgl efis. And what everyone else has already posted is correct for wiring.

I think I found the sensor I'm using based off my UMA tach (see image). Looks like it takes 5-24V so I should be good just hooking this up to my bus and grounding the wire correct? The Dynon also had 5V output too that might be the safe bet.
Pickup.jpg

Wingnut: in your first post you said your sensor has 4 wires. The UMA sensor in this pic has 3 wires. If your sensor indeed has 4 wires, it's likely not the same one as this spec drawing. I definitely would be hesitant to hook bus voltage up to it in any case.

Last edited:
I just did the dual P-Lead pickoffs and they worked fine. Oil press and oil temps are out to wack though. Everything else looked good which is nice to see. Not sure what their issues are, maybe bad ground or something.

Back