What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin updates too expensive?

akschu

Well Known Member
Patron
Fellow Builders,

I am getting ready to cut holes in my panel so I'll be committed on my avionics pretty soon, but I'm having a little bit of cold feet on my garmin 495 (I live in Alaska so there isn't any XM weather).

The problem is the cost for updates. Garmin charges you $50 per update, but then they don't include everything in the update, you must pay for it over again with navdata, obstacles, and terrain, which makes this little GPS very expensive to update.

I'm already going to get 430w updates which I'm sure will be very expensive (can't even figure out where on the jeppesen site to buy this stuff) but do I really need this expense on my portable/backup as well?

I'm thinking about buying another GPS and selling my 495 just to get cheaper updates. I see their are many models available including the flight cheetah, ifly, and a number of others where the updates are a fraction the cost of garmin updates.

So the question is this:

Are the databases and units from other vendors on par with garmin? Or is the 495 still the best option despite the update costs? I don't want to ditch garmin to find poor quality info on another unit.

Also, what if I didn't keep it updated? It seems like I'll have the info I need from my 430w or AFS so perhaps this is a non-issue.

Thanks,
schu

Last edited:
Greetings -

If you plan to keep the 430 up to date, what reason is there to update the hand held at all? I have a 696, and will probably only update it every couple years or so, as I keep the 430 up to date.

Mountains don't move (usually)

Unless you have a pre-Mt Helen data base, the terrain data changes very little. You may never wish to update it. The obstacle update is handy if you plan on navigating around towers while scud running. Otherwise the nav data is the only one that is critical. I usually update that one once per year.

I agree with the guys above - I don't worry too much about keepign terrain databases up to date - as Ron said, mountains rarely move. i don't scud run, so I don't worry too much about obstacles either. I'll update the 696 databases for these maybe every year or two. I keep the "Charts" up to date on the 696 as that is my "brain bag".

The 430 has to have a valid database if I want to legally fly IFR, so that is where I spend my money.

paul

How do you get the 430W updates from Jepp? They make things difficult on their site.

I agree, without weather there is no real need for the 495 with a 430W.

Call them

Since you are just getting ready to cut holes, you really don't want to do any update until you are ready to fly,:rolleyes: I am sure you thought of that! The easiest way to do it is just to call them. Have your credit card ready and then they will send you the links you need to download the updates. Do you have the writer already? If not you will also need to purchase that before you can do your first update. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that was another $50 dollars. The card fits into it and then the writer plugs into your USB. By the way, although this writer looks like it should take the terrain card as well - it won't and you will have to either find someone that has a writer for that if you decide to update it, or purchase that as an accessory from Garmin (who sells the obstacle/terrain databases).

For what it is worth, I only update my 496 once a year too, since I maintain the 430 up to date for IFR flying.

I have to say I fully understand the cold feet, I spent a couple years in North Dakota, it is COLD up there! :D sorry, couldn't resist.

Cheers!!

My Pet Peeve

You have hit on my pet peeve. I was very disappointed years ago when Garmin bought out Apollo/UPSAT. I was hoping for the competition.

All the data is collected, produced, and provided by the government either free of charge or at a very reduced cost.

Garmin makes a huge amount of money on the databases. I'm all for capitalism, but would someone out there who is smarter than I please produce the data and provide some competition!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.

The other thing is, it's up to the PIC, not Garmin, to make sure he/she has information that is adequate, and current, for the flight. Many plates do not change for years. The 6 month expiration date is strictly to put $$ in Garmin's pockets.

The other thing is, it's up to the PIC, not Garmin, to make sure he/she has information that is adequate, and current, for the flight. Many plates do not change for years. The 6 month expiration date is strictly to put $$ in Garmin's pockets.

I would guess the chart expiration is to keep lawsuits from removing money from their pockets.

Garmin is OK.......

i would hold on to the 496. great features and backup. probably the most powerful thing in my panel. hint, if you have two 430's in the panel it cost less per unit to update. ;)

Garmin updates: Knowing what's changed

All,

Just wondering out loud. One of the key issues for us 'down under' is that our navigation charts, approach plates etc simply do not get the same level of focus as those from the US/Europe.

So, how do we know what updates we're getting for our fee; or seen another way, why should we be forced to get updates if nothing (or little) has changed?

Something smells :)

All,

Just wondering out loud. One of the key issues for us 'down under' is that our navigation charts, approach plates etc simply do not get the same level of focus as those from the US/Europe.

So, how do we know what updates we're getting for our fee; or seen another way, why should we be forced to get updates if nothing (or little) has changed?

Something smells :)

I would seriously talk to your local FAA-equivalent guy. I was once able to get the email for one of your top guys rather easily when we considered moving there, and he was quite prompt in getting back to me - still toying with the idea of moving there.

Anyway, my point is that being so small it is possible that you don't make ANY changes to charts in a year. If that is really the case, or if there is a simple "cheat sheet" showing the cumulative changes, then you might legitimately go for years without an update.

Someone sent this to me a few days ago but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet... I don't know if it only applies to the Automotive GPS's or not:

Did you know under "myGarmin", when you are logged in, you can purchase updates for the life of most units for $119.99?

Why Garmin?

So waht about Lowrance or Anywhere maps?

Lowrance has updates for $35 and Anywhere has the complete updates for $115/year and a lifetime for $395. You cant get XM weather on the Lowrance but you can on the anywhere map.

Is there something I am mot seeing with the Anywhere map? Seems to have a better screen than Garmin, it is less expensive, and the updates are less. Why does everyone buy a Garmin?

I am redoing my panel and have saved a spot for a 496, but now I am rethinking that due to this thread.

Just a rant - TV used to be free, then came cable with the promise of no commercials and better programming. We all see how that turned out. I hate service fees. Mobile phones and cable being the worst of them. Cant believe we (Americans) pay US$85 to US$120 or more a month for our mobiles. Anyone in Asia would just fall over laughing if they found this out.
(Rant over):)

Just a rant - TV used to be free, then came cable with the promise of no commercials and better programming. We all see how that turned out.

There is still free TV. I've never had cable or satellite TV and probably never will. (unless they get rid of the commercials)
I do have satellite radio in my van, but there are no commercials.

Updates

I bought the $120 lifetime update for my Nuvi. Have tried to update for 5 weeks with no success, using 2 different Apple computers. One computer has had problems in multiple functions since trying this and my Nuvi not only is not updated but has lost everything except the Interstate system. Still trying to work this out. Maybe it's just a software issue with Macs. Bill

Are you flying IFR with your GPS?? I have updated my Garmin twice in the 5 years I've been flying with it. I use it as a Situational Awareness tool and back up to good old fashioned pilotage. Sectionals are a lot cheaper to update. :D Technology is great but I know way to many pilots that would completely lost if their GPS quit working. Our CTAF changed almost a year ago. I monitor both frequencies because every weekend someone flies in without bothering to look at a chart and are on the old frequency and they tool in thinking they are the only one in the pattern when there's really 3 or 4 of us. Scary stuff! Alright I'll get off my soapbox now...:eek: Get to cutting so you can go flying!

Thank goodness......................my GPS hasn't quit working for years & years.. :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A/Garmin GPS's

You knew what I meant ;) My sole means of Nav in my Avid is a Garmin 196. No DME HSI ect. I always said in training when my CFI refused to let me turn on a GPS well if it fails I'll pull out my phone and if that fails I'll pull out my handheld, and if that fails, I'll call someone on my sat phone, and if that fails I'll send em a spot message. He was never impressed. I was just trying to get the point that was already made.. paying $50 every 28 days for a GPS database is silly unless you have to because your flying IFR with it.

I have an iPhone and I use the AOPA application that allows you to download airport data and airport diagrams...and the app will let you know when there's a new database available and the effective dates of the data.

This is a great digital replacement for most data in the AFD.

If I'm going on a trip to an unfamiliar airport I just go to the FAA's AFD site and download and print the AFD for that airport and surrounding airports (just in case).

I update my 496 each year at annual time.

So waht about Lowrance or Anywhere maps?

Lowrance has updates for $35 and Anywhere has the complete updates for $115/year and a lifetime for $395. You cant get XM weather on the Lowrance but you can on the anywhere map.

Is there something I am mot seeing with the Anywhere map? Seems to have a better screen than Garmin, it is less expensive, and the updates are less. Why does everyone buy a Garmin?

I am redoing my panel and have saved a spot for a 496, but now I am rethinking that due to this thread.
)

Anywhere Map doesn't have serial output so you can't use it to drive an autopilot or communicate with your EFIS. That would make it almost useless in my plane, even though I just have a VFR equipped RV-8A.

You knew what I meant ;) My sole means of Nav in my Avid is a Garmin 196. No DME HSI ect. I always said in training when my CFI refused to let me turn on a GPS well if it fails I'll pull out my phone and if that fails I'll pull out my handheld, and if that fails, I'll call someone on my sat phone, and if that fails I'll send em a spot message. He was never impressed. I was just trying to get the point that was already made.. paying $50 every 28 days for a GPS database is silly unless you have to because your flying IFR with it.

Yes, I know exactly what you meant! :) Was just kidding, a little.. :D

I like your answer to the CFI too! In fact, I don't appreciate CFI's that request a pilot to turn the GPS off. The GPS is a very valuable tool, that provides much better information that pilots have ever had in the past. Thanks goodness, I had a CFI that was always impressed with what my latest GPS could do when I was going through IFR training. Back then, the Garmins actually provided the full overlay for the IFR approach. I suppose liabilities and the fact that portables are not IFR legal............have gotten in the way.

My GPS thoughts are based on all of the flight into terrain accidents that I've kept track of all these years. I became quite interested because of close to home accidents, & those of friends. There is no doubt in my mind, that GPS can only make aviation safer, and there is no reason to turn it off. Mine is on every time I fly. Afterall, with the all the Class B & military airspace in my local flying area, it's much better to be precise on knowing exact location, instead of the "old" way.

L.Adamson --- RV6A/ Garmin 696

Garmin 495 update

Has any Mac user gone to a public library to use their Windows computers to download the Garmin updates? Any issues, or problems?
Thanks

Has any Mac user gone to a public library to use their Windows computers to download the Garmin updates? Any issues, or problems?
Thanks

I do my updates on my MacBook Pro. The only thing I need a PC for is the checklist editor. I?ve had no issues with using the MacBook

Garmin 495

Garmin tech support said the 495 only updates on Windows machines. So thanks for this and I?ll give it a try with the MacBook Pro.

Turn off the GPS.....

I have to laugh when someone says turn off the GPS these days.

I have two G3X touch screens, GTN650, G5, iPad and at least 1 cell phone (usually 2) all with GPS.
I know only the GTN650 is IFR legal, but seriously how many of the GPSs do I need to turn off? :D

Garmin tech support said the 495 only updates on Windows machines. So thanks for this and I?ll give it a try with the MacBook Pro.

That?s likely true then. I was referring to updating my G3X maps/software with my MacBook

A different opinion...

I have to laugh when someone says turn off the GPS these days.

I have two G3X touch screens, GTN650, G5, iPad and at least 1 cell phone (usually 2) all with GPS.
I know only the GTN650 is IFR legal, but seriously how many of the GPSs do I need to turn off? :D

On a recent flight I watched the on-board gtn650 degrade from lpv to lnav, then to no signal. Bad satellite geometry, or jamming, I don?t know. ALL gps units aboard failed. When I give flight reviews, check out flights, etc., I always ask the pilot to show basic competency with navigating without a gps; flying without an attitude indicator and DG: ?failing? an autopilot. Not because these things aren?t useful, but because they can and do fail, and a PIC should be able to deal with flying without them. My favorite story is the instrument rated pilot who steadfastly insisted that it was not possible to brief an approach plate without an autopilot. And this was a 182, one of the most stable planes ever made.

Back