What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmags and Van?s tach not communicating

Robert M

Well Known Member
I thought I had posted this once so sorry if this is second posting.

I have dual Pmags on a Lycoming O-320 and I have the Van?s tachometer. I AM getting a signal from the ignition (left), but it appears that I am getting half the RPM?s that the engine is actually turning.

Has anyone else encountered this situation and do you happen to know if a fix?

Thanks,
Robert

I thought I had posted this once so sorry if this is second posting.

I have dual Pmags on a Lycoming O-320 and I have the Van?s tachometer. I AM getting a signal from the ignition (left), but it appears that I am getting half the RPM?s that the engine is actually turning.

Has anyone else encountered this situation and do you happen to know if a fix?

Thanks,
Robert

The Van?s tack uses a transducer (sender), not mag or pMag RPM outputs. The transducer screws into the engine tach sender on the auxiliary case.
Here is the part: http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1510409727-114-750&browse=ei&product=vans-tach

As people move to digital, analog tachs like this one are falling out of favor since engine monitoring systems take the RPM signal directly from whatever igntion system you are running.

Carl

Vans tach input

I recall the Vans tach puts out 4 pulses per revolution because my digital MGL tach worked with that number. Someone on VAF helped on that solution. Just get an MGL Vega tach for $300 and use Pmag output 2 PPR.

Back