- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2017, 09:38 PM

Default 2017 Thread Bump

Alright all, listen up. This is my annual bump of this thread to the top of everyone's feed. I do this every year, but this time it is even more important after the fiasco that was 2016. Go back and read the last couple of pages for a small taste of it.

Let me be blunt- there are people reading this right now who have absolutely no business flying in to Oshkosh. The vast majority of us are skilled, disciplined and professional, but it only takes one yahoo to screw it up for everyone. Don't be that person. Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM!

I really want to see all you folks at the beer bash Monday, so do everything in your power to make it there safely... even if that means driving in. You know who you are.
Milwaukee
Old 07-14-2017, 09:24 AM

I was in the middle of the Sunday rush last year and, to me, one of the biggest problems was lack of airspeed control. Time after time I would establish spacing, only to lose it as the plane ahead of me started slowing down, even though his spacing was fine ahead. If you are one of those who can only fly at "whatever this power setting gives me" you, in Jeff's words, "have no business flying into Oshkosh".
Senior Tech - Panel Design, SteinAir, Inc.
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor

We're all here because we're not all there...
Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsxer View Post
I was in the middle of the Sunday rush last year and, to me, one of the biggest problems was lack of airspeed control. Time after time I would establish spacing, only to lose it as the plane ahead of me started slowing down, even though his spacing was fine ahead. If you are one of those who can only fly at "whatever this power setting gives me" you, in Jeff's words, "have no business flying into Oshkosh".
That happened to me on Monday of last year. I was following a Cessna to 27 who for some reason decided to slow way down about halfway to the downwind from Fisk. I tried to match him without S-turning but was still overtaking him when I heard the stall horn chirp so I bailed and re-entered the conga line at Ripon.

Please read and follow the NOTAM!
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 07-14-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:49 AM

And please, go out this weekend and practice a bunch of tight, close-in right patterns to a spot landing, said spot not on the threshold. It's what you will be asked to do with RWY 27 in use.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:16 AM

I am hoping Mel Asberry posts an updated short form for us. I used his last year (after fully reading the NOTAM) and it worked great. I'll drop him a PM.

VAF Donation Made 7/2017 ------ "It has taken us this long just to get where we are!"
Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 PM

There are lots of good YouTube videos from last year since it was so, uh, eventful. Use these to get an idea of what it can be like. Not all of the pilots are good ones! You should be able to tell who is following the NOTAM correctly.

Here is one, and YouTube will keep feeding you more in its recommendations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nol5ZD96G0&t=1127s
Old 07-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Default OSH

As I prepare for my 48th Oshkosh I will be parking my EAB at an outlying airport. The sad truth is that OSH gets more and more dangerous every year.
Far too many of the pilots who should be reading this can't be bothered. The basic flying skills of too many pilots is getting worse every year.
A couple years ago when the wind was probably 20-25 straight across 36, I watched from the SE corner of the airport for a while. The amazing thing is watching textbook perfect greasers in T6's, Beech 18's the Fords etc. Mixed in with this are the Mooney's, Bonanza's etc that are all over the runway. Far too many on the ragged edge of crashing.
This is not limited to inexperienced pilots. There was the DC3 many years ago that didn't lock the tailwheel and almost got into the crowd on takeoff. Mr. R, total loss of control in his single pilot jet attempting to land 18. The list goes on and on.
One important point I haven't seen mentioned: one should practice, starting at altitude and then in the pattern, very tight turns from base to final. This is the scenario with 9 and 18 active. In this scenario you will frequently have a tailwind on base for 18.
Maintain thy airspeed, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. ANGLE OF ATTACK!!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:28 PM

Default Timing is everything

I think timing things to hit low-traffic times is essential. I've hung out at Baraboo-Dells airport or other airports less than an hour from Fisk, listened to the air show on the internet, launched 30 minutes after the airshow was over and it was a cakewalk. I've also followed a storm front in, been nearly first in line in the morning and nearly the last one in after dinner and minimized the risk. In my opinion once they start holding over the lakes it's time to go land and have lunch somewhere.

Sun-N-Fun to me is worse.

I absolutely agree with everyone about practicing slow flight until you have it nailed before going. You can't watch for others if you are struggling with your speed and altitude. I've flown into OSH about 8 times and still practice each July. I have found in my -8 that about 10 degrees of flaps makes it much easier.

I also suggest knowing the NOTAM by heart and using Mel's list (or your own) as just a checklist. RIPON is the wrong place to be reading the NOTAM.

VAF Donation Made 7/2017 ------ "It has taken us this long just to get where we are!"
Old 07-16-2017, 08:41 AM

Also, don't forget to reset your altimeter prior to entering over Ripon.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Forum Peruser

I usually overnight at Dekalb Illinois on Thursday night and depart before 6:00 AM for a RIPON checkin just prior to 7:00 AM. In 2012 I was the ONLY airplane from RIPON to touchdown at OSH. Easy-Peasy!
P.S. Now that I think about it, that year was the year I flew all the way from North Alabama to Dekalb and then to Oshkosh without seeing another airplane! And yes, I have good vision (20/15 Right and 20/20 Left)
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!

Last edited by rv7boy : 07-17-2017 at 04:50 PM.