What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to look for when buying partially completed wings?

Mhead

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am planning to buy a wing kit from Van's or a partially completed set of wings for a -7. What should I look for in a kit that someone else has started other than workmanship, etc? Any issues with older spars not matching with the fuselage when I buy that down the road? Also, what is a fair price for wings that are over 50% complete. Any input is appreciated.

The center section is matched to the wing spars in the factory. That section is shipped with the wing kit. The longerons are also shipped with the wing kit so make sure the seller has both of those if you buy used. Also, I can't remember for sure but I think one of the long pushrod tubes gets shipped with the wings as well.

If the tanks are done, make sure to do a leak test on them and check for FOD inside. Check closed up wing sections for signs of any damage from mice/rats/cats etc.

The rule that I have heard from everyone that I have discussed this is that partially finished kits are worth no more than the original purchase price for the parts but a fair price is a price that the seller and the buyer agree on.

Last edited:
Brian, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I had forgot about the center section coming with the wings.

Get the inventory list from the seller and make sure all the hardware and bearings are there. Also make sure all the small bits of aluminum re there for all the brackets ect. The small missing bits add up - ask me how I know...

Back