What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Jig Stands

nippaero

Well Known Member
Hello,
I am curious if anyone else has tried the wing stands that Rudy used on his RV? Or something similar? I am thinking about building a pair for my project.

Rudy, feel free to chime in if you have anything you would like to add.

Wing Stands

Wing jigs

I built a jig using 4X4 posts and built a square box. I sheeted the top for storage and it is about 8 ft tall. I found that even though the wings are prepunched, it is ever so handy to have them in a jig. This way I could build both at the same time (which saved lots of time). Simple plum lines at both ends ensured that every thing was straight (or maybe I couldn't get my RV-6 wings out of my system ;) ).

Good luck.

Thanks. I was thinking aluminum might be nicer. I need to see if I can source some 2x3 or 2x4 locally. Did you bolt the bottom angles to the main bar or weld them together?

I built a set for my wings and once I was done I loaned them to an RV9 builder in the area and he is currently using them. I thought they worked quite well and they were good and solid.

wings2.jpg

my bottom angles were welded on, but I don't see why you couldn't bolt them. You would have to use two bolts to make sure the did not move.

Here is my variation of Rudi's stands. I only made one set and attached it to the ceiling joist as well as the floor. The adjustable threaded rods work great to align the structure.
DSCN1627.jpg

Thanks Rudi,

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Here is the original post and TIP:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5058

Cool I am glad you like the wing stands I came up with borrowing what I saw other did. The only thing I can add is that don't make the overun on top of the stand past the top adjustable rod that much as mine. Make it just like JohnR's level with the spar.

Once it is made, and you are done with it, you can loan them out to RV builders, there is sure a need for sturdy stands.

I want to stress again, make sure they are sturdy so do 2 things:
1) Rather weld the bottom feet on. You might get bolt hole slop on it if you bolt the feet to the upright. Remember there is a huge distance between the top of the upright and the bottom of the feet, any bolt hole slop will show up easy.
2) Use very good anchors in the concrete floor.

If you decide not to loan them out you can cut them down to make a fuselage platform like i did.

Good luck, Kind Regards
Rudi
rudi_greyling_wing_stands_drawing_v1_0.jpg

Last edited:
Free Wing Stands

I have the set that AltonD and myself used stored in my shop. If anyone wants to come pick them up, they're free.

PaulR said:
I have the set that AltonD and myself used stored in my shop. If anyone wants to come pick them up, they're free.

Paul - meet me in Montgomery with them? :p

Metal Wing Stands

I also stole Rudi's design. They work great!! I only built one set, because of space issues. The only change I made was making them a little taller so the the spar height was near the top of my chest, greatly reducing any stooping to work on the wing.

Found the used steel at a local yard, knocked the rust off, welded and painted. Hardware and aluminum were purchased at Lowe's aircraft supply.

Kitlog entry

2nd wingstand kitlog entry

Mike, I too made a set of these wing stands and they work great, made em out of steel with welded feet, nothing moves.

Steve

Thanks for all the great replies. I am off tot he scrap yard to find some steel or aluminum.

I have my wing jig/stands ready to anchor to the floor. I will be placing it perpendicular to the wall. I want to put it as close to the wall as possible. My question is; How much room will i need at the end if the wing, actually all the way around it but mainly the end torwards the wall???

Stand spacing

Gotta love Rudi's stand design; I made mine out of steel with welded base plates and 60" uprights. I set the uprights 114.5" apart and the spacing has been perfect for the 2" arms.

I like a little elbow room and spaced the stands to allow 3' clearance between the wing ends and my garage door as well as 4' clearance beside and between the two wings. I still have plenty of space left over for my workbench(es), shop tools, etc. in a two-car garage shop.

I never worry about bumping into anything but the wings are still close enough so that I can turn around and work on the other wing or get to a workbench very quickly. Floor space allows me to sit/stand beside or between the wings and it's worked out great so far.
Mike

Minimum clearance between and around wings on jigs?

I am currently building in one bay of a three car garage. With winter approaching, I want to stay with this arrangement while building the wings so I can keep two cars inside. If building both wings side by side, how much room is required between them, along the ends, and along both sides? Four feet was listed in a previous post as ideal, but what is the minimum needed?

Minimum Stand Clearance

Clearance is a bit subjective...I have a roll-around mechanics shop stool and was able to sit while working on the lower parts of the wings, so for me the clearance between stands and my bench, etc. described above was ideal.

If you're willing to stand/crouch to do your work you could cut the clearance down to 2.5' or so between/at the sides of the wings and only 1' on the ends. I wouldn't want to try and work with much less than that (try standing 2' away from a wall and imagine clecoing, riveting, etc. while stooping down to get to the lower parts...gotta have room for your backside).

However, you can easily prep the parts for both wings and just assemble one wing at a time in a single pair of stands. The wings are big but go together quickly once the parts are prepped so this won't slow you down much (if at all) since you're only going to rivet one at a time anyway. Remember to save yourself some workbench space to build your fuel tanks!

Good luck,
Mike

Back