What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion-proofing question

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey All,

I'm going in a couple of weeks to look at a used/partially completed RV7 kit. The guy has completed the empennage and wings, but didn't prime anything but the spars.

If I were building this from scratch , I'd likely prime the ribs and faying surfaces of the skins, but I know that lots of people don't bother.

Obviously, there is the financial aspect since it's less than a new kit, and if the build quality is otherwise reasonably good it would be nice to pick up something with a few hundred hours of labor already knocked out.

Everything coming out of Wichita these days is primed like crazy, but I'm currently flying a 64 year old c170 that seems to have not fallen out of the sky, despite not having a lick of primer inside it.

I don't want to add to the primer wars, I'm just looking for real world experience. Has anybody skipped priming the internals and later regretted it? I'm currently in Wichita, but there's always the potential for a relocation to a salt air climate in the future.

Thanks,

Terry

I don't want to add to the primer wars, I'm just looking for real world experience. Has anybody skipped priming the internals and later regretted it?

Terry my RV recently shed some skins. Flying unprimed unpainted since 2011 tied down under the elements by North East coast. I was very pleased to see the internals sparkling clean. External that's the whole another story. Rusting like crazy.

Data point

I am currently about 92% done with the build. I read all the primer war threads prior to my build. I chose to prime my -10 with P60G2 that Van's uses.

That being said, if I build again I likely will NOT prime. The time involved in priming, FOR ME, did not justify the effort. It increases the build time substantially, and it comes down to if you want an airplane that will last for 75 years versus 100 years. Most of these RVs are treated better than fine automobiles, being washed, waxed, and always hangared...

I also fly a 1957 C-172 that was never primed and never babied.

My quick build kit was not primed as built by Vans builder. I do not know if the other quick builds are or not. Mine is a 2006 kit. I primed what I could but obviously could not get to everything.

What Bob said ^. Priming adds CONSIDERABLE time to the build and, for me, reduces the overall enjoyment of the project. My next build, the diesel or turbine powered RV-15 will not be primed:).

Just an opinion

Priming takes a lot of time, adds weight and gets scratched through where you can?t see it during the build.IF you move to the sea coast or see something you don?t like, spray it with Boesheild after painting. That is what the stuff is made for.

My quick build kit was not primed as built by Vans builder. I do not know if the other quick builds are or not. Mine is a 2006 kit. I primed what I could but obviously could not get to everything.

If it came from Vans as a QB fuselage and or wing, they are all primed with P60G, which is a slightly different product than in the States as it has a grayish sheen, not greenish.
It is very subtle so you may not be aware if you haven't seen it before.

P60G is the easiest and simplest way I have found to provide a basic first level above Alclad corrosion coating. It is still time consuming, but nothing like other hard coatings.

It adds almost no weight.

$$$

Terry my RV recently shed some skins. Flying unprimed unpainted since 2011 tied down under the elements by North East coast. I was very pleased to see the internals sparkling clean. External that's the whole another story. Rusting like crazy.

Hey Vlad - you should cut that old skin up into small pieces and sell them. Everyone would like a piece of Vlad?s famous RV9A. Along with a certificate of authenticity of course! :D

Thanks for the feedback guys. This will be the 3rd used kit I've looked at since starting the search, and if this one doesn't pan out I'll likely just have to admit that I'm too picky and buy new kits so that I can rework my own mistakes, rather than someone else :)

Back