What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How slow can you go?

N941WR

Legacy Member
A friend took this video with his phone of me landing last weekend.

It was taken with a cell phone, so it is not the best quality video.

Last edited:
Man, I should've got a screen shot with my 60+ knt headwind in October. I was too worried about my bladder range at 90ish knts!

What kind of headwind were you fighting, Vlad? I bet a Piper Cub would be about -15 in the same conditions. :)

This was around 70 kts Doug very rare one at this altitude. At the surface was gusting up to 30 but along the runway easy no-flap landing BillR style. It was about the same time of the year - November.

IMG_0161.png

this was heading east with a 90 kt headwind. flying backwards at 34 kts. :D

I am watching winds aloft in my area. The plan is to take off, climb and land at the same runway without changing the heading. I need to start at least with 30 knots on the ground and 70 - 90 kts at altitude. It looks like Mount Poconos KMPO has suitable runways for westerly blowers. :D

Fla%20Trip_zpsrhie3cvu.jpg

Traveling to FL Tuesday. If I turned right I could have flown "backwards", I think. Note the "Glide Ring". To my left airports 20 miles away were in range, while close ones to the right were out of reach. Winds were 279 at 74.

Mark

I am watching winds aloft in my area. The plan is to take off, climb and land at the same runway without changing the heading. I need to start at least with 30 knots on the ground and 70 - 90 kts at altitude. It looks like Mount Poconos KMPO has suitable runways for westerly blowers. :D

Definitely video it if you can. That would be awesome to see and have no doubt you'd be able to do it.

i took off with a 90 kt east wind aloft at 12,000'. no problem going backwards at 34 kts.
IMG_0161.png

sounds very doable with a strong wind like i had. :roll eyes:
as long as you can fly backwards it is just a matter of time.
IMG_1771.jpg

Back