What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks retrofit to completed leading edge on -7, how hard is it?

Mhead

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Both of my leading edges are complete and closed up, how hard is it to install a duckworks or other manufacturer landing/taxi light? I won't be flying for a few years, does it make sense to wait and see what the LED market does and retrofit then?

Installing the Duckworth won't be a problem. The hardest part is cutting a hole in your new wing leading edge. Once you have it open, you can use the supplied templates to drill holes in the ribs and install necessary nutplates. Of course the wiring needs to be planned

Easy - no worries

No problem Gary. I just finished my left wing on QB wings. It was just like what you would experience. The instructions are very well done and easy to follow.

They suggest you use a handle to pull the lens in place made out of tape. Do it as it works very well. Resist the urge of pushing it in place as I don't think the it would turn out as nice.

When you see the size you well swear it wont fit in the hole but it does!

Find some pics here.
http://www.rv7a-factory.com/wings_updateMar2810.htm

It's also not that hard to do after the plane is fully assembled, as long as you run the wiring while you are building.

When I got ready to install my Duckworks HID's, I realized that my wing cradle would put the load right where the lights go. So my lights sat on the shelf for over 2 years. In the mean time, Duckworks came out with a better, lower cost light then the one's I had purchased. No telling what will be available in a couple of years.

Back