What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small Tools

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I have been working with Louise on various airplane projects now for almost two year - from rebuilding "Mikey's" instrument panel to building him all new gear fairings, and some bits and pieces of metal-work in between. One of the things that she has found frustrating at times is the size and weight of some of the tools we have in the shop. While I am one of those builders who will only give up my pneumatic squeezer if you pry it from my cold, dead hands, she finds it to be a handful with the 4" yoke installed if she needs to support it in mid-air, while at the same time lining it up to get square on a rivet. Full-sized air drills can also be a bit heavy after drilling many, many holes. It is sometimes a question of strength, but also an issue of wrist fatigue, many of us (including myself) having had brushes with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome over the years. Frankly, it is no fun building when constant pain is involved!(those suden, swift pains from when you drill into your finger are a different matter - they just add spice to the experience....)

As we prepare to build the -3, one of the things that we have been trying to do is find tools which fit a small hand better. I discovered that while I give little thought to keeping my 4" yoke on the squeezer most of the time, it is easier for Louise if the default is a 2" no-hole. We took advantage of a sale on palm drills from Brown tools a few months ago to get Louise a nice, light drill motor that fits her hand much better. And a little Black and Decker "Mouse" sander makes it easier for her to do more fiberglass work than if she has to handle a large oscillating sander for very long.

I'm curious if anyone else has found other light and easier to use tools that make the job of building more enjoyable for those with smaller hands or less strength. I am lucky to have a spouse who is interested enough to be building on her own if I weren't around, but a list of such friendly tools might help those who would like to have the company of their significant other in the shop more often as well!

Paul

Louise's hands

might like a good pneumatic cleco tool. You know, the one that eliminates the use of cleco pliers. Cleco pliers might be good for wrist exercises, but it gets old quick when building. Air tools, as you've already figured out, really do save a lot of work.

Paul,
The Tatco hand squeezer fits the bill for Louise. I also like the Harbor Freight mini die grinder with a swivel for the air hose and an Avery 1 inch ScotchBrite drum. It's small, light and will get into areas that larger tools can not reach.
Charlie Kuss

Paul,

Check out this picture I took of some tools my wife gave me for Christmas while building. I put the two Craftsman ratchet wrenches in there to give you a scale:

She picked up everything at Northern Tool and I have used every one of those things more times than I can count.

A 2x rivet gun...

...might be easier to handle on the 3/32 rivets if you only use a 3x on all rivets now...

...and the HF mini...

Paul,
The Tatco hand squeezer fits the bill for Louise. I also like the Harbor Freight mini die grinder with a swivel for the air hose and an Avery 1 inch ScotchBrite drum. It's small, light and will get into areas that larger tools can not reach.
Charlie Kuss

...die grinder - right angle version - with a 2 inch roloc disk.

Good for metal and fiberglass trimming.

52848.gif

Respectfully disagree

Paul,
The Tatco hand squeezer fits the bill for Louise..........
Charlie Kuss

I must respectfully disagree. I find my Tatco squeezer to be very hard on the hands, especially when dimpling. [Maybe I'm just squeezing too hard?]:( It is nice and light, it just seems to require a very strong "grip strength".

Obviously, YMMV.

......One of the things that she has found frustrating at times is the size and weight of some of the tools ........ she finds it to be a handful with the 4" yoke installed if she needs to support it in mid-air, ......... Full-sized air drills can also be a bit heavy after drilling many, many holes. It is sometimes a question of strength, but also an issue of wrist fatigue, many of us (including myself) having had brushes with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome over the years. .....Paul

Years ago, My wife assembled SightMaster archery sights. They used air drills, rivet guns and electric screw pokers. Initially, carpal tunnel was rampant. Also most of the crew was women. To help combat the fatique issue, the owner took lengths of small bungee cord and suspended the tools from the ceiling, this made the tool weightless. It also kept from damaging parts if...when... the tools was dropped.

Agree with Pete

Tatco squeezer is an outstanding tool. I have 2 of them and a bunch of yokes. Even the 6 incher that excels at dimpling. But the truth is, they are hard for a lady to use. At SNF a couple of years back, I got a test squeeze with the Main Squeeze rivet smasher from Cleveland. I was amazed. I still don't own one, but have been promising myself one for years. The effort to squish a -4 is easily less than half of my Tatco. They use Pneumatic yokes, so if you have a CP 214 style tool they will interchange. HINT...Avoid Pneumatic yokes that are drilled and tapped along the "C" section for bench mounting. This weakens them considerably, and I have had one fail completely, fracturing along the bore of those holes. Try to avoid the imported pneumatic yokes as well, they seem to flex way more than the USA made yokes. Very important on yokes 3 inches or larger.

My 2 cents....
Chris

Main Squeeze from Cleaveland is awesome...

My sons are 11 and 14 and can handle the Cleaveland hand squeezer with no problems. It has an aluminum handle which makes it lighter weight and the design requires less force to squeeze -3 or -4's. I have used the Tatco and others and think the Main Squeeze is the way to go.

Back