VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-30-2018, 06:07 PM

I just posted this elsewhere but thought maybe one of you might know... After looking at the install and op manual, I thought many of the sensors I already have in my RV6A would be compatible. I was thinking I could by the basic kit with the CHT/EGT X 4 and add other sensors later using the sensor already installed in the plane and making a wiring harness, etc. HOWEVER, the JPI sales lady and Aircraft Spruce (dealer) told me any option you do not buy at the time of initial purchase necessitate the EDM 350 to be returned to the factory for reprogramming to enable. Obviously, this means your plane is down and it also locks you in to buying all the options from them, even if you have compatible sensors. Has anyone bought one to know if this is true?
Old 08-30-2018, 06:30 PM

Don't know, but given JPI's business practices, I'd bet it's almost certainly correct.

FWIW, I ran into the same problem with GRT's EIS a number of years ago. Bought a used one, and I already had a fuel flow sensor, so I figured I'd just hook it up & go. Nope. They wanted something like $200 to turn on the option in the device's firmware (not including the flow sensor).

Charlie
Old 08-31-2018, 02:54 AM

Yeah look I'm not entirely convinced you can throw JPI under the bus with that one.

Different engine monitor and EFIS vendors have different levels of flexibility in their probe/sender/monitoring compatibility and when I changed from a JPI EDM 740 (which was an excellent piece of kit, by the way - it was removed for an EFIS upgrade and they don't make an EFIS) to a different but increasingly popular brand of engine monitoring/EFIS renowned for being super flexible, several of my senders were incompatible and I had to buy new ones from that company.

They normally have multiple product lines and providing infinite cross-compatibility with other vendor products user-customisable out of the box would be a firmware/software/hardware development nightmare in some cases. They're not running a charity.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:12 PM

I remember years ago flying my cessna 152 from Gulf Shores, Alabama to Norfolk, Virginia to visit my son in the navy. All I had was a GPS 3 pilot with a screen about the size of a box of matches. The only engine monitoring available was the oil pressure and temperature!

I have the Dynon D100/D120 in the 7A... Not to mention the GPS with ADSB traffic and weather. Can't imagine going on a X country without this level of information!

The trip to Norfolk, Virginia in the cessna almost seems fool hearty now!
Ignorance was bliss. :-)
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$

Last edited by Paul 5r4 : 09-02-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Expermentalavionics.com EMS Project

It appears that this project from Australia, as many well intended amateur product developments efforts do, has gone cold. Looks like the developer got a job that has made it difficult for him to continue. It was an interesting start to a low cost experimental and the website still shows circuit boards and related components for sale but no sign of any firmware and appears to be no activity since mid 2017.

Probably an affirmation that low cost avionics development is not as easy as it looks.

-larosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
There is a concept, I don't know what to call it, but let me for now say that it is a variation of the "normalization of aberrant behavior" idea. This is a trap that many of us aviators fall into. Thus, because an aviation engine is expensive, easily upwards of $25k, then spending $200+ on spark plugs is normal, right? Many would say yes, even though there exists a $2-5 automobile spark plug that equals or betters the performance of an aviation plug. Hey, a new instrument replaces ten, so it must automatically cost as much as those instruments combined, right? No, shouldn't there be some economy of scale? Some of us like to question the value proposition of something instead of unconditionally accepting the high prices of components in our hobby.

I will suggest that the MGL E1 instrument is testament to the fact that these specific engine instruments can be designed, manufactured, and marketed for very low prices. It costs $345, all by itself vs the $1k base price of slightly better competitors. It is germane to point out that these engine monitors are not rocket science devices. The sensors, ADC chips, uProc's, level conversion circuitry, and display components all have been around for over 50 years and have achieved tremendous reduction in size and cost. These devices are electronically much less sophisticated than the EFIS units, GPS navigators, and radios of today and yet look at how much improvement in price and performance these latter devices have demonstrated in comparison.

I just don't think that engine monitors have kept pace compared to other avionics. And this is a shame especially because it is such a safety promoting device. As another data point, here is an example of a fairly capable, amateur built, engine monitor project.

http://experimentalavionics.com/engi...gement-system/

The device is all built and undergoing testing by an amateur on limited "fun" time. The components (in quantity one!) are about $100. From electronics marketing experience, I feel confident a company can commercialize a similar or better design for about $500. But, nooooo, aircraft electronics MUST be expensive and the market will feel happy about it.

PS-I did warn this was a rant! I do appreciate all your discussion.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:56 PM

Willing to roll your own? Can you code in basic?

http://circuitgizmos.com/gizmo-store...uter-p53819402

This is the processor used:
https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/IC/AD595.pdf