VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-11-2017, 02:24 PM

I can confirm that last summer Gallagher was able to get a quote for me for $1,000,000 CSL ("smooth", no sublimits) for $400 more than a $100K per passenger policy. IMHO an excellent bargain.
BTW, that's three passenger seats (-10) not just one.

Last edited by BobTurner : 01-11-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Note added
Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna Linton View Post
Hi There!

For most experimental aircraft the insurance companies will not offer smooth limits, however the Vans are a different situation. There are currently 2 companies that will offer smooth limits on a Vans Aircraft depending on the pilot criteria. (One of those companies has astronomically high premium the other is quite competitive.)

There are also several companies that will now offer $1,000,000/$200,000 for a very reasonable price.

Gone are the days that Vans owners are limited to $1,000,000/$100,000 liability limits. (Obviously there are other factors that could cause you not to be eligible for the higher limit. i.e. Recent claim, age, pilot hours, etc.)
Shanna,

Thanks for the info. Approximately what is the age cutoff for the higher liability limits?
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 PM

I think I might find out what age does to rates in a day or so from Shanna. It is all in the perspective, I am proud to say I have been flying 46 years this week without ever an accident or claim. I bet Gallagher will tell that story differently by saying "you are almost 80 years old and that is too old to get a decent rate"
Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
I think I might find out what age does to rates in a day or so from Shanna. It is all in the perspective, I am proud to say I have been flying 46 years this week without ever an accident or claim. I bet Gallagher will tell that story differently by saying "you are almost 80 years old and that is too old to get a decent rate"
Actually I doubt you will hear that. While age discrimination certainly exists, most companies are careful not to say anything that might confirm it.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Shanna,

Thanks for the info. Approximately what is the age cutoff for the higher liability limits?
It really depends on the insurance company. Each insurance company has their own set of parameters on how they determine eligibility of quotes.

At renewal of my files I always check the market for the highest liability limit available.
(Formerly NationAir Aviation Insurance)
www.ajg.com/lightaircraft / www.ajg.com
Fill out an online application here:
https://ajgebusiness.wufoo.com/forms/zdqimsa1xahsup/

Opinions and advice provided by Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. is not intended to be, and should not be construed to be, legal advice. Please direct any request for legal advice to your attorney.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:18 PM

They don't have to say it, just charge for it. Just got my quote from Shanna and with 46 years of accident/claim free flying, my rate is about exactly THREE TIMES the premium my friends with identical planes and even less experience pay! I can understand, and sure don't want THEM to pay higher rates because of my age. Old Republic, Global Aerospace, and AIG refuse to even sell me a policy!
I have not seen that in my friends, that us old guys are so accident prone, in general it seems the old guys actually fly less and have less exposure, and fall in the old saying about old safer pilots.. I guess some old geezers someplace are out there bending up airplanes at a pretty fast rate. I applied to AVEMCO since they were the only one left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Actually I doubt you will hear that. While age discrimination certainly exists, most companies are careful not to say anything that might confirm it.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Don, before I jump to a conclusion, may I ask a question? Are you requesting insurance on a just-finished kit, for a specific model (e.g. -12) in which you have little time-in-type? If the answer is yes, then that is the issue. For my first year of flying the -10, I had few options, and my premiums were about 3x what they are now. Insurers will tell you that those first 50 hours have a statistically higher risk of a loss. Low time in type has a statistically higher risk too.
Edit. I see in your by-line that you have an automotive engine? Insurers don't like that either.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Yep, just finished kit, still need transition training and a BFR before I fly, Viking aircraft engine, which is essentially an auto conversion.
I was comparing my rate to my friends, who also have the same configuration of engine and plane and experience. Only difference is that I am double or more their age and have more flying experience!
I was going to ask Shanna if in her experience, after I have several years flying it with no claims, if they would go up cause I am even older, or down because of experience. That is an unknown.
To be truthful, it is rather depressing, makes me consider if I am that accident prone, maybe I should just sell it and hang up my license. I flew my own plane for many years with NO insurance, and maybe that is a best choice as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Don, before I jump to a conclusion, may I ask a question? Are you requesting insurance on a just-finished kit, for a specific model (e.g. -12) in which you have little time-in-type? If the answer is yes, then that is the issue. For my first year of flying the -10, I had few options, and my premiums were about 3x what they are now. Insurers will tell you that those first 50 hours have a statistically higher risk of a loss. Low time in type has a statistically higher risk too.
Edit. I see in your by-line that you have an automotive engine? Insurers don't like that either.

Last edited by DonFromTX : 01-12-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 PM

I have been using Gallagher, nee Nation Air, for the 13 years or so that I've had my RV. From my experience, any inquiry has been answered within 24 hours, I have received a listing of competing quotes to choose from upon renewal and my rates have been lower than previous years with the same hull value. Excellent service in my opinion.

For crying out loud...they graciously host the Wednesday night party at OSH and allow Dan's shindig there too. They have earned my business.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna Linton View Post
It really depends on the insurance company. Each insurance company has their own set of parameters on how they determine eligibility of quotes.

At renewal of my files I always check the market for the highest liability limit available.
Shanna,

Thank you for the reply.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned