VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-02-2016, 05:02 AM

Default Hard lines for smoke system

Has anyone else run hard lines for a smoke system install? I'm probably going to fit one eventually so I'm trying to plan ahead and get the infrastructure in place. The plan is to run 3/8 line from a QD in the baggage compartment under the seats and up the center to the firewall, and provision for valves and electrical connectors as required. I'll be documenting it in my build thread once I get to the fun part of the build (the systems work).
Old 06-02-2016, 06:58 AM

Yes this is quite common. With tank in the back, hard lines up. Typically quick connects to remove the tank.
In my unusual case of a wet wing smoke tank, and pump in the tail under the HS (need tail weight), I have a lot of hard lines to get the smoke from the wing to the tail, and to the exhaust. You will have flow and pressure drop over distance of course. Ensure your pump can flow .75gpm or greater at the nozzles and your good.
Gold Hill, NC25
Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 AM

You should have checked in D-28 last week. Both Don and I have hard lines.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strahler13 View Post
You should have checked in D-28 last week. Both Don and I have hard lines.
I never thought to ask...

We'll be up again, if nothing else maybe I'll take a look before we head to Oshkosh.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:29 PM

I routed as much smoke oil as possible with soft aluminum. Planning to modify the lines leading to my injectors with steel at next opportunity. Will have to figure out how to anchor to the engine then run flex to the rigid line on the firewall.

Another thing to consider at this point in a build is rigid oxygen lines. Not such a big deal for a side by side since you can place the bottle in the baggage. But having a tandem, I'd like to do a remote bottle in either the fwd or aft baggage one of these days. Rigid lines will be required.

Houston