What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compile a RV-9 2.0

WolfgangMN

I'm New Here
Hi,
did someone check the possibilities to upgrade a RV9?
Tail-feathers of the RV14, they should match
electrical system and avioncs from the 14, that should also match.
The result would be a more mature aircraft, a lot easier to build.
Thanks for comments.

Wolfgang welcome! The RV9 is not difficult to build. You can put any avionics you want in it. You can do a lot of things with this RV model it's mature enough. There are some people who don't understand the purpose of the 9 but they are minority. It's a well designed model and in the hands of a capable pilot she can do wonders. Go for it ;) :D

I'm not sure why you would want to put the empennage from a -14 on a -9? They optimized for the different planes and are very similar in design and size. While the -14's tail group might be slightly easier to build the -9's tail gets you ready to build the rest of the wings and fuselage.

As for the wiring, I never found it difficult to do. Also, the -14's wiring is designed to be installed as you build. With the -9, you install the wire after the major components are assembled.

One other through, if you can't build the -9's tail group, don't attempt the rest of the aircraft, you will never finish.

If you want the build of a -9 to be easier, adding -14 parts won't solve that problem! The easiest way to build a -9 is to pick up someone else's project and complete it. Make sure the canopy work is complete! That canopy is the hardest part. The panel can be subbed out to someone like Stein. The Firewall forward is pretty straightforward if you stick with Van's engine/prop combos.
The RV-9 is a fantastic airplane and it does exactly what I want in an airplane.
If I was to start a new build now, I would take a look at the RV-14. Mainly for the extra roominess, but it would not be as inexpensive to operate as the -9.

Back