What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Pressures

Norman Joseph

I'm New Here
I have looked and looked all over the internet and I cannot find anywhere what the recommended tire pressure is for the main gear tires on an RV9. Please can somebody help me.

tire pressure

I have been inflating my tires to 42 psi on the mains and 32 psi on the front of my trigear RV-7-A. The higher pressure helps reduce tire wear and keeps the front wheel shimmy to a minimum......CE

I have looked and looked all over the internet and I cannot find anywhere what the recommended tire pressure is for the main gear tires on an RV9. Please can somebody help me.

Norman, Look on page 2 here on VAF---45 psi tire pressure and all due respect to Walt Aronow. There are presently 29 posts on this subject.

For my tail dragger -9, I use 35 PSI and refill at 30 PSI. Those numbers have worked well on both grass and pavement.

PS. Welcome to the good ship VAF!

why so variable????

Hi Norm,
hope you are enjoying your -9 in the cool clear weather down there!

if you fly with your pants off at all :rolleyes: you may notice, as I did, that the pressure varies quite a bit.
If I preflight on a cool morning, the tire that has gotten a bit of sun says 45, the one on the shady side, 35 or so. after a flight and a mile of taxiing, they might both say 50. the next cloudy day, both are a solid 32.
these are small volumes of air, and vary significantly.

I think you'll go crazy thinking 'correct pressure', perhaps we should all talk about a 'range' that is unlikely to cause operational problems, uneven wear, or failures ( underinflation typically as many have said.)

just my two bits on the subject.......

if you fly with your pants off at all :rolleyes: you may notice, as I did, that the pressure varies quite a bit.
If I preflight on a cool morning, the tire that has gotten a bit of sun says 45, the one on the shady side, 35 or so. after a flight and a mile of taxiing, they might both say 50. the next cloudy day, both are a solid 32.
these are small volumes of air, and vary significantly.

Excellent point Perry. Another reason to always fly with your pants on. :eek:

Bevan

I have been using 36 for the mains and 40-45 for the Berringer nose wheel. Holding up well so far and handles nicely.

Back