What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear fairings without wheel pants?

bifft

Well Known Member
Want to get the fiberglass work done while the weather is still warm. Was thinking about maybe just doing the gear/intersection fairings and not doing the wheel pants. Based on what I have read, most of the speed increase comes from the gear fairings and most of the downsides (difficulty adding air, checking brakes) come from the wheel pants.

Has anyone else tried this combination? Seems like the lower end is mostly held in place by the wheel intersection fairing, so would need to set up some kind of clamp there. Perhaps the same sort of hose clamp as at the top?

I don't feel much of the "need for speed" compared to most RVers, and as a fat guy want to keep as much weight off the plane as I can. Having it down for working on instead of up for flying also makes me want to do less work.

Thought I'd run this by the group to see what folks here think.

Not sure which model you have, but i?ve seen folks make accommodations to check air, such as an access hole for the stem. You can always leave the pants off if desired, but the wheels are pretty draggy I believe.

On my stock 8, I think I spent more time doing intersections than on the pants.

Back