What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Old masking tape adhesive removal

BillL

Well Known Member
Masking tape adhesive removal for tape left for over 2 years on plexiglass. I tried on the top where some tape of the same vintage was handy and over the clear protective layer. Less danger of damage. I would never sit that stuff on my unprotected canopy.

What did NOT work: isopropyl alcohol, WD40, mineral spirits, pledge, olive oil, baby oil, water, or lighter fluid (naphtha). All applied and allowed to soak 20 min or more.

What DID work: d-limonine (citrus degreaser) in the heavy duty cleaner. It was the only thing that softened the adhesive. The paper towel used to keep it wet stuck to it, unlike all the other tests.

Good Luck. Your results may vary due to differing adhesives.
km2V_YQLYrF3EGgiQvNTSEthZ6TkBByEIPyVaX8oS9YFO2EuMYzLuA6IbumZhgdnFv7IOJtpNuNWfT6uxovkzdgRrNBPA0cCUT19SEZdf2WSSYDMThmu-QnakNrZ94IdgPL1cD1mxn2U31ZNCXKx3hzIe5-QvIgPAid8tdU_JvX5AMFr30LTC_KgPl6JDDruJ8wwZxFCJpuhV2GuueRZVftZV29Un-d2KPOAHFlfmFc61ic_XEMws1OuGmNeWzgxjKQzm67M3eBk-NOe1wEI7MdRRoUCFB4n0XQSrLS1zJwO-L9i1WPATg9QuPRK6_32lmYobHHoM7tYnQmDjPS5sVpdLgQuT4gBRfohQKuakKOpaYU3s_cfelvnmh77HWyuo85DSQ5ps6qnMiqyljBuw7XA7c2Hj3nI8WHHIKZpVGI1Q_rXvvpsxolJVr54goxFTpp5P7zF4lHgtVvdtyk4IiHE-587ahqDhpJ5I8lKpDFi8LKlp1MWxofH3faoiHhJBToW52vB3klfOEnLMFQg5mnxI6oG8Lncg51jNM3LeO8ngjVyalsa35ep0Jx1XdBNzkMLPg6X5qPWqlDWvqoP9HjG2FvzxcYd_eJxpmgAaDqqF1-EjBQc35BtjjVFpgFaQpKI3-m2p63b8ZCK3-uQXbmL6JMuatVCfco50sBZyg=w546-h727-no

Last edited:
Goo be gone.

Try the Goo-Be-Gone and let it soak for some time. We have had good luck with it.. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

careful!

Be careful with chemicals on plexiglas.

It looks like I see a bottle of windex in your assortment. Windex has ammonia which will over time cause crazing.

I'm not sure if the normal goo removal brands have anything bad for plexi or not. I would guess they might. Toluene, xylene, acetone, styrene monomer, MEK, I would think would all be really bad.

So, good to know that citrus-based degreaser works. Thanks!

Be careful with chemicals on plexiglas.

It looks like I see a bottle of windex in your assortment. Windex has ammonia which will over time cause crazing.

I'm not sure if the normal goo removal brands have anything bad for plexi or not. I would guess they might. Toluene, xylene, acetone, styrene monomer, MEK, I would think would all be really bad.

So, good to know that citrus-based degreaser works. Thanks!

I agree Steve, but that was not windex, but 50/50 RO-water and isopropyl alcohol. I just put it into a blue colored bottle out of habit. We stopped buying windex and mix our own glass cleaner. That was the water part of the testing, and should have been pointed that out.

This is not really reviving an old thread but has anyone any tips for removing old masking tape of paint. It is two pack and not clear. I tried the citrus stuff and it left a foggy haze on the paint.

An interesting thing about chemical usage is that sometimes one chemical used will prevent a following chemical to work. For example water soaked into a rusted connection will remove the rust, but once you have used something like penetrating oil, it will prevent water from getting in.
We once tried this on Model T front axle that had been buried for years and was completely covered with rust to the point that you could not even determine the outline of the bolts/nuts. We soaked the joint for several days with water, brushed off the excess rust and unscrewed the nuts with a wrench.

Interesting... I haven't found an adhesive yet that didn't yield to WD-40, but I haven't needed to remove masking tape residue that was that old. Filed away for future reference!

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner

No. 08984

has never failed to remove any adhesive I have run into

Yep, WD-40 cleaned it off. Doesn't appear to have upset the paint. Thanks for all the advice, tried hot water and detergent Mel and a hot air gun but the WD-40 did the trick.

Yep, WD-40 cleaned it off. Doesn't appear to have upset the paint. Thanks for all the advice, tried hot water and detergent Mel and a hot air gun but the WD-40 did the trick.

Good to know this worked for your situation. WD40 is always on the short list.

Back