What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-7114 Gusset Plates

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good morning everyone,
I plan to un-cleco my fuselage this weekend in order to prep it for final assembly but before I do I am trying to make sure everything that needs to be done is completed. My question is concerning the F-7114 gussets (the gussets on the inside that connects the skin to the forward wing/carry through spar). The instructions don't call for these to be matched drilled to the skin yet, but it makes sense because everything is clecoed together and if you wait untill after riveting there is a chance you could get metal shavings stuck between the skin and stiffners. When did you drill yours, and did you have any issues?

thanks
Brandon

Brandon, I'm building the 7A instead of the 7. On the 7A the gusset is part of the landing gear mount socket and is installed after the skin is riveted. Just looking at the plans, I don't see why you couldn't match drill the skins now. My two cents worth.

Anytime

I had the same question at that stage. I asked Vans when it needed to be done and the response was "When you get to it." I did discover before I flipped the fuselage over that the 7114 gusset did not align with the center section. I was sure I had built the fuselage out of alignment. I called Vans again. Their take was this is not uncommon and to take a little off the 7114 gusset to get it to fit properly. You can see photos here

http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=sdahrens&project=248&category=5097&log=144471&row=49

I am getting ready to mount my wings and I will drill the 7114 after the wings are mounted properly. I want to have the gusset bolted in place, that way I know I am riveting it exactly where it needs to go.

Just my two cents worth.

Hi there. I had the same problem with the Gusset fit. Left one was out like yours and the right one was ok. What does Vans mean by "take a little off" I wonder? The bit that would need to be thinned is the part that sits against the side wall and is bolted through the skin. Would not have thought that would be such a good idea. I was going to ask for a replacement part?

I did it before assembly.

I had the same question when I was at your point. I webt ahead and drilled them at the point you are at. I never used the hardware store bolts, i just used the small close tolerance bolts installed them and drilled them. They are installed now, and I don't have to wory about getting chips in between all the layers. I never had any fit issues, but the bolts did need some light "help" getting in. Hope this helps.

I slowly sanded the outside edge, the edge along the fuselage until I got close to the fit I wanted. I also enlarged the holes slightly to ensure the 7114 gusset aligned with the center section.

Both of these tactics were suggested by Vans.

Back