What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A question about rear wing spar attachment and clearances

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good afternoon everyone,
I started my 705 bulkhead last night for my 7 and noticed. After I had matchdrilled the 705B stiffner to the 705A bulkhead my overhangs were of different length, unfortunately I drilled the hole about a 16th to one side. Any who now my overhang of the 705B is 1 5/8" and 1 1/2". Don't think this will have any negative effect but it brings me to my question. I am wondering how far onto the over hang is the hole drilled to support the rear wing spar?
thanks,
Brandon

Rear spar drilled based on edge distance...

The rear spar will be match drilled to the wings rear spar. It must be drilled such that there is 5/8" edge distance from the center of the hole to the edge of all material, both the wing rear spar and the fuselage rear spar.

The process is a little more complicated than just the edge distance though. There is a document about drilling the rear spar in the faq on the Van's website. You might want to read that if you have further questions now, and certainly read it when the time comes to drill the rear spar.

Michael-

In building four -7s, I've never encountered an instance where a 1/16 offset would have caused a problem keeping the drilled rear spar hole within edge requirements. I'm 98% sure you could press on - no worries. BUT that 2%! You would have an absolutle b***h of a time replacing the 705 carry-though if your tolerances all went to the worst case. I recommend taking the time now to correct the error. There is plenty of other work while you await new material.

John Siebold

Back