What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

converting military headsets to civilian use

BGordon

Well Known Member
good afternoon everyone,
A few days ago I bought a couple of Dave Clark military headsets from a friend for a great price. When I checked the DC webpage for an adapter for civilian use I was blown away, they are about $80. That seems a bit pricy and I was wondering if anyone had had any luck making an adapter. Or better yet would someone mind sharing how they did it.
Thanks in advance
Brandon

Go take a look at Oregon Aero - they have a full line of stuff to convert your helmet/headset. I haven't aded up the prices, but I know you can get civilian speaker units and variou swire sets.

Paul

Is it not as simple as hacking the plug off the end of the cord and soldering up a standard headset plug?

Frank

Bummer! You could probably make up a circuit to match the impedance but it might not be worth messing with if there is something commercially available.

If your headsets are truly former military sets, as mentioned above, the impedance will be wrong for civilian radios. OTOH, if you are just talking about the single plug on the end of the cable, that can be used with an adapter.

What is the exact DC model number? You can look it up on the DC website to find out exactly what you have.

And even if the impedance is not correct, some civilian radios work well with them, while others may not.

good afternoon everyone,
A few days ago I bought a couple of Dave Clark military headsets from a friend for a great price. When I checked the DC webpage for an adapter for civilian use I was blown away, they are about $80. That seems a bit pricy and I was wondering if anyone had had any luck making an adapter. Or better yet would someone mind sharing how they did it.
Thanks in advance
Brandon

Hi,

Generally speaking, once you have changed the single military plug for dual civilian plugs, you will find the ear phones work fine, but the mic not at all. What you need is an in-line amplifier for the mic or you must change the mic to a civilian one. 80 bucks is about right.

HTH,
Bruce

Back