What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder cable link

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good morning everyone.
I went to fabricate the rudder cable links for my 7 last night and the only reference I can find was on drawing 37. It's says the distance between the holes varies with rudder pedal location but nothing specific. Should I measure the distance on the plans and use that? I'm 6' and the pedals are full forward and my seat is full aft.

Thanks

Simulate seat cushions in your airplane using towels or whatever. Then, loosely zip tie the cables to your rudder pedals. Now go sit in the airplane. Change the length on the zip ties until you find what works for you and make links accordingly. You need the rudder installed to do this properly.

I did some careful measuring first, then made some dummy links out of soft aluminum scrap. Sit in the plane, re-drill & refit dummy links as necessary, and when it's perfect, use the dummies as the template for the real thing. The zip ties are a good solution too.

Rudder Pedal Links

I did my rudder pedal links last night. I decided on 2 inches hole to hole.
I'm 6 ft tall. 32 inch inseam. I have rudders full forward. I put my seat in aft most hinge. I simulated seat with cushions from the coach. I tried fake links made of aluminum first. Rudder swings fine.

Back