What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-712E Tie Down bar, DWG 21

wirejock

Well Known Member
When does the F-712E aft Tie Down Bar get installed? It seems logical to install it before riveting F-712 Bulkhead in place but I'm not sure. I started to install it and messed up but still would like to know when it should be installed.
On a side note, check the plans. The tie down is not flush with the skin. The bottom of the tie down is 7/16" below the bottom cut out of the F-712 Bulkhead. I missed that. Apparently there is space for a locknut.
I'm moving at a glacial pace trying not to make mistakes and still messed up.
More scrap parts and another day or two getting the replacement F-712 bulkhead to fit. :eek:

Larry,

I just passed the point where the book normally says to roll the canoe (I did mine right side up). During this upcoming weekend's rivet-fest, I'm going to rivet my tie down bar in then. Not sure about the 7's plans, but in the 9's, there's a note that it's best to keep the tie down bar out until after the longerons and other details of the aft fuselage are riveted in. The bar might have a tendancy to get in the way.

Hi Larry,

Sorry I can't help with this one .. I got a tail-wheel thingy in the way back there on mine. Keep pounding!

Tie down

Thanks Scott and Bill.
I finally found the instruction. Way at the end.
It gets drilled and mounted during the vertical stab mounting.
I really wish I would stop making mistakes!:eek:
New F-712 bulkheads should be here in a few days.
New tie down anytime. Oh well, I didn't like the fit anyway.:D

Ah ha! I looked again Larry. My manual says the same, to drill and install while installing the VS. This is one point where I disagree with the manual. Get ready for them - at your point, you're going to start disagreeing and rearranging build steps also. ;) I'd still drill the tie-down now, while you have 712 not riveted to any skin or anything. And I'm still going to rivet mine now, rather than with the VS. The clearance between bulkheads 711 and 712 is short enough as it is with the tie down in place. If you waited to rivet, much less drill, the tie down when fitting the VS, you'd have to fit the tie down, your hand, and arm down in the access hole in the aft deck, and maybe a clamp or two in the small middle recess between 712 and the aft deck. Very little room in the inn for all this with the aft deck on, I think.

I installed mine while building the fuse as well, as was suggested on other blogs. I have not found any absolute reasons why you can't. Access looks fine to everything.

Chris

Larry -

I riveted mine before riveting the aft section together. I ended up taking it out when I decided to switch to a RV-7, but there was no issues putting it in early.

It comes down to which makes you more comfortable.

Thanks

Larry -

I riveted mine before riveting the aft section together. I ended up taking it out when I decided to switch to a RV-7, but there was no issues putting it in early.

It comes down to which makes you more comfortable.

Thanks Scott.
I too am making accommodations for future tail wheel change for me or a someday owner. I left the two support bars as is rather than trimmed per nose wheel instructions.
I will re-read the destructions, and decide on a plan for the tie down.

Resurrecting an old thread.

Anyone run into any issues by riveting the rear tie-down in while you are riveting the F-712 bulkheads together?

Larry, now that you have been through the fuselage. Could you have left it riveted in the first place? I suspect access for bucking the skin rivets is mitigated by using the small tungsten bars.

Curious in southwest

I have the side skins and longerins on. I am about to rivet on the aft deck and would like to know if there is a reason to wait until AFTER the aft deck is on to rivet the tie down bar. Please help. I got big hands and just cant see waiting until the VS goes on.

Tie down bracket

There's holes that get drilled through for the VS. I riveted it during the VS mounting process.

Back