What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much did you spend?

bret

Well Known Member
On everything minus airframe, paint and engine? I am trying to get an idea of all the little things that add up, transponder, com ect? I am looking to go with Dynon everything, I remember doing an estimate a few years ago but now I looked and I am in sticker shock!

Not counting all of the "little things" I spent around $25K on panel and related items in 2005.
EMS
EFIS
AutoPilot
NavCom
Intercom
ELT
Xponder
Flight Instruments including Elect. Turn Coordinator
Panel Mounted Portable GPS
All Misc. Electrical...

Your going to spend that much at least but you will also get much more capability for the same money.

If you don't have that budget, a single lower end EFIS, Comm Only, no back up flight instruments, no A/P, etc.... and I bet you could scratch out for $10k. Just a guess.....

On everything minus airframe, paint and engine? I am trying to get an idea of all the little things that add up, transponder, com ect? I am looking to go with Dynon everything, I remember doing an estimate a few years ago but now I looked and I am in sticker shock!

That's almost like asking, "What does your house cost?".

It's not that we can't answer the question, but more like those costs are directly proportional to our individual taste, requirements, and discretionary income. So unless you find somebody that has the same requirements and taste that you do, I suspect you won't find much value in the numbers.

For example, I know folks with very modest panels constructed out of instrumentation purchased used. I also have friends that spent more on the panel than the did on the whole kit.

If you want some quick numbers and options to determine the range of budgets, check out AFS's new panel offerings for both AFS and Dynon panels.

I was happy to answer the question relative to what I put in mine. Hope it helps.

In 1992 I spent approximately $1300 on my day/night VFR panel. This included rebuilt and certified flight instruments, new comm, new transponder, new Loran.

Doesn't quite relate to today's prices.

My panel has:
- dual GRT Sport displays
- Garmin stack (SL30, GTX327, GMA340)
- Tru Trak ADI Pilot II
- backup steam gauges

I spent between $20k and $23k on all that in 2010. Looks like it would be less today.

Keep your eye out for used and good deals, don't get obsessed with the latest and greatest. My panel is

GRT Sport SX 8.4" - $2800 new
GRT EIS 4000 - $500 Used on VAF
Garmin GTX327 Xpndr - $1000 used on VAF
Garmin GTR-200 Comm - $1200 new
Dynon D10 backup EFIS with backup battery - $500 used on VAF

That's $6k for a 2-EFIS, all-glass panel. Add in Van's wiring kit and other incidentals and probably under $8k total.

My mindset was to get it flying, and be able to upgrade relatively easily. I can add servos for a GRT autopilot, and also pre-installed a rack for a GNS430W should I want a certified GPS. Or I could add a remote mount NAV radio for basic IFR ability.

People will start chiming in that you might as well add ADS-B now, and if you won't fly until close to 2020, there may be some merit to that, but it's obvious there are still more rule changes and new products to come, and hopefully there will be cheaper solutions available to the experimental market in the next few years.

Chris

Last edited:
I tell people to expect to spend one third on the kit, one third on the engine, and one third on the rest.

Full Panel - Dynon Dual Skyview, ADSB, Servo's - Garmin Radio and PS Eng Audio and all Elect equipment/wire etc.. $26K
IO-360 200HP 28K
other Extra's.. Tail Wheel stuff, fire wall eyes, fire wall sealant, 13 row oil cooler, hoses etc.. 8K
I'm down to getting the paint paid for after 5 years. :D

The other end of the spectrum

Airspeed, turn coord., horizon, DG, altimeter, instant VSI, fuel gauges, ignition switch, Icom IC-200, KT-76A, AV8or GPS..............$765.00

I probably spent too much, but you only live once :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I tell people to expect to spend one third on the kit, one third on the engine, and one third on the rest.

WOW! I think you are right, when I started adding things up, it was around 20K, welp, so much for wishing to get that 409.........Back to Barnstormers.....

WOW! I think you are right, when I started adding things up, it was around 20K, welp, so much for wishing to get that 409.........Back to Barnstormers.....

I'm right there with you Bret. Probably going with a single Skyview and leaving room for the second.

Used

I bought a used Icom A200 for $550-$600 and a new GTX 327 for $1000. UsedD100 and D120 for $2000 and $1800.
Bill

Just finishing my panel upgrade -

All I can say is that it cost at least twice as much as I thought it would and took more than twice as long to install than I estimated but it sure is cool!!!! Every time I look at that pile of invoices tho my euphoria does diminish some. But did I say it sure is cool!!!

Be realistic in defining your mission and what you really need to accomplish it and plan accordingly. Wait as long as you can to purchase the components because someone else always wants the newest and latest gizmo and will sell their low time used gizmos at a substantial price reduction.

This is kinda of like asking how much should I pay for a bottle of wine?

This is kinda of like asking how much should I pay for a bottle of wine?

Well, I'm a BEER kina a guy, so maybe I'll just stick my IPad with WingX on the panel and look out the window. :D .......it would be Way more than what they had 70 years ago Ya?

Some builders will spend more and some will do less, but that is a good average, regardless of what they are building.

For that kind of money, you can build a nice plane. Of course, that doesn't include GTN650 which can always be added later.

Maybe a little off topic but...

My son and I were involved in a kids Build a Plane organization in Talkeetna Alaska. A new young man showed up so we showed him a few airplanes. A C206 with all the gizmos to see wings level, figure out where you are going, keep from running into terrain ect...
Then we walked over to the Super Cub. "See all those windows? You look out those to stay right side up, decide where you are going and not run into anything!"
I picked up an Icom 200 for a couple hundred bucks, and am going day night VFR. Cheap as possible. Being in the air on a nice day sooner beats being able to be in the air on a crappy day later.

Cost

And, as someone mentioned, an iPad with foreflight or wing x gives wonderful situational info.
Bill

Bill R's numbers re close enough for me. I estimate by 7 cost $80K+. Subtract the fuse $26K for the QB, $22K for the motor, paint $6K. So.....

I spent roughly $30000 in stuff...off the top of my head,.... prop(7200), complete panel(7000), firewall forward (6000),

Yikes I have no idea where the other 10K went.....and don't care when I see this view. Just finish Condition Inspection yesterday. Life is good

I love Mike's answer,
It is so true you make the panel what you want. I started making a decision on the panel when I first started building the plane. I bought a little each year at Oshkosh and by the time I built the Panel I had a 10 inch dynon and a 7 inch dynon and One Adhars, and Transponder.and a MGL V6 radio that works great. Over the next two years I added the Servo's and the ADS-B
So slowly I kept adding to the plane.
This is my hobby, I don't golf or have other expensive hobby's

There are no Hurst with Luggage racks, and my kids are on their own

Smilin Jack

Simple VFR Panel including with 2 non touch 10" Dynons, ELT, VPX Sport, Wiring Harness, Switches, AP servos, EMS package...about 21,000
24ce345.jpg

Interior Classic Aero Aviator Seats and interior- 5,000

New CS Prop and Gov 9,000

What got me is all the little things. Plugs, ingnition harnesses, cold air sump, prop gov, starter, flywheel, all stuff for a used engine I didnt count on having to buy. Monthly or sometime weekly orders to ACS.

I've got all my receipts and I'm gonna add it all up again someday and see where all the money went! Right now I'm too close to being finished and don't really want to know!

Flying a 195 Hp, FI, CS 172 at the moment, I like the CS but leaning towards Catto 3 blade, what kind of difference can I expect in fuel burn between the two?

It depends on how you get Craig to pitch the Catto. If you get him to pitch it for cruise, there should not be a significant difference in fuel burn.

The main differences with my cruise pitch Catto (vs constant speed) are:

- it takes longer to accelerate
- I have to watch my RPM on descents and aerobatic downlines

There's lots of debate on C/S vs fixed pitch, but those are the main things I've noticed...

Hydro, like your paint, your purple is close to what I used, So, another fork in the plan would be to decide on IFR or not? That could be a whole thread in itself. I have done 3/4 of my IFR training back in the 80s with a lot of IMC but don't know if I would actually use it today, seams like the required IFR equipment would increases the cost by 15 to 25K unless?????

Flying a 195 Hp, FI, CS 172 at the moment, I like the CS but leaning towards Catto 3 blade, what kind of difference can I expect in fuel burn between the two?

It all depends on what you do with the black and red knobs. The prop really doesn't have much to do with it.

BTW, for those of you who think building is expensive, wait until you are flying!

Back