What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Power Hook Up, where?

sglynn

Well Known Member
Question: where do you put power? I've started wiring. Well, I've started pondering because already I have too many questions on wire routing. Does every 12V+ wire go all the way back to firewall? Or to buss? Where does buss go? Or do you put in several places where you can pick up a power source? Grounds are easy, but how should I get all the various power wires from servos, lights, etc to a power source? I know they all have to go thru breakers so can you steer me to a source of explanation for way to do this on RV's? Does every power wire come to break panel? Can some be combined?

thanks much

You need a plan..........

If you are going to use good old breakers, the power path is usually from the battery, to the master contactor, then to the main buss, and each breaker is attached to the buss--------actually the buss is usually attached to the breakers.

Numerous variations on this---------avionics buss, "E" buss, backup battery system ETC, but for the most part it is as above.

If you are using a Vertical Power unit, they will have wiring schematics available for you on the website if not in the box the unit comes in.

Either way, sounds like you need to develop a plan as your first step in doing the wiring.

Good luck.

Since it sounds like you're just getting started, I'd suggest putting down the tools and getting a copy of Bob Nuckoll's book. You can also take a look in the front of the RV build manual - there is a simple electrcial schematic there that will work just fine for a simple DVFR airplane.

Don't make it any more complicated than you need!

Wiring

I completely agree with Ironflight. Without a wiring plan that is written down it will be difficult to end up with working system that is easy to troubleshoot.

My other suggestion is to enlist the help of someone who has wired an airplane before. In addition there are many types of hardware, connectors, labeling methods and wiring methods that you may want to look at before you start working on the airplane.

Good luck

The advice that has been given is good.

The Nuckolls book is a great reference and has many sample schematics you can implement. If you aren't familiar with electrical issues, it may take several readings before things make sense.

A Vertical Power VPX unit is another method that allows you to implement an electrical system a little quicker and has other benefits. You'll need to determine if that is an appropriate value proposition for for you.

Even if you don't go with a VPX, take a look at the installation manual and several of the other support documentation on their web site. They did a great job of documenting many common issues that may help demystify the electrical system for you.

Electrical Wiring

Thanks sounds like good advice. My pondering is more about physical routing than it is schematics. I've got a good handle on the functional schematic and plan. But where in the airplane to route, where to put grounds or not, best kind of connectors, where to use connectors vs busses, where power is, what kind of adel or other clamps work etc are what I'm wondering about. Photos are worth a lot. I'll get a copy of that book and check websites of the guys who sell that power distribution unit.
thanks much

I personally have one primary bus, plus an avionics bus ( powered via a 20 amp CB off the primary bus bar) and an essential bus. These are all powered from a primary bus bar, which receives power from the battery/alternator through a 60 amp fuse forward of the firewall. Primary bus feed from BAT/ALT is a fused fat wire (8 awg?.. Not sure) to the bus bar in the cockpit. This primary bus is under the switch panel on my RV8. Switches/CBs attached to the bus bar. The ESS bus is also powered from a TCW back-up battery in the event of of a primary power source failure. This is pretty standard.
As others have said, you should draw/write you diagram, including wire gauge used and circuit breaker/fuse sizes. All this comes in handy when you modify/change some things electrically (you will).

Power Buss Location

Scott,
Excellent, thanks. Location and quantity of power busses is exactly what I was wondering about. Thanks much

Here is a link to a video Stein did, you will see a good example of how a buss is done at the 10:30 or so time mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ona3vAxGcz4&app=desktop

The copper strip running across the bank of breakers is the physical buss bar----notice there is more than a single buss, could all be tied together with a jumper, or could be separate buss setups such as avionics.

One of the weakest points of experimental aviation is the attention paid to getting the electrical system right. Over the last decade or so, even the FAA has been increasing its emphasis on aircraft wiring.

You don't have to invest in new products or invent ways of wiring things--industry standard practices born from collective lessons learned are easily available from what SHOULD be an often-referenced document: Advisory Circular 43.13.

Chapter 11 relates specifically to electrical systems. Everything from wire sizing and bend radius allowance to the spacing for cushioned clamps, from service limits to EMI, to moisture protection and service loops is in that chapter.

I'm surprised this reference isn't higher in this thread. The 43.13 should be the minimum standard from which we experiment to improve.

Back