What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Back Position

Mark Curley

Well Known Member
Patron
What seat back position do most RV-6 drivers use?

Getting ready to rivet the hinge-halfs to the floor and considering the sense of setting 3 rows of hinges. Once one has the seat cushion made, how can the seat back be moved forward/aft without messing with the cusion fit?

I am 6' tall and suspect that I will want the seat back in the last position. Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Mark

I'm 5'9" and in my RV-6 I have the seat bottom in the aft hingeline with the seat back all the way aft as well. I didn't build it, and the builder never installed the top hinged adjustment. I have the parts but it seems it's not needed.

Doug

I am 5'6". Have all three hinges am most comfortable with both settings in the most aft position. I am even considering moving the rudder pedals to the fwd position. I still have engine and avionics to go but have spent quite a bit of time in the cabin @ various seat settings and have consistently found these settings to work for me.

6'1" here. I use the aft most hinge for the seat back bottom. I have the right side set in the middle for my GF who is around 5'7". I long ago removed the upper seat back hinge attachment on both sides, and just have the seat backs rest on the cross bar. I think you'd have to be pretty small to use the forward positions on the upper.

Regarding the earlier poster... the cushions seem to have enough movement to be able to accommodate the different hinge positions, though I have never tried the extreme forward hinges. I have Classic Aero Sportsman's (leather).

I use the forward hinge point

On the seat bottom I use the forward most hinge. At the top, the seat back is against the cross bar. Originally the seat bottom was in the 2nd hinge and felt too upright for my preference. It was surprising how much difference changing to the front hinge made in comfort. I'm 5'-10", 200#. Now if I could just figure out how to get an extra inch or so of room for my left shoulder I could sit square with the stick and rudder pedals:confused:

word to the wise ....

...make sure you locate the seat back hinges - both on the floor and the seat back - exactly where Vans calls out. There's very little tolerance on either side, especially with a T/U canopy. My L seat back is off by about 1/4" to the outside, and the tip up frame hits the outside of the seat back every time I close the canopy. I have to press the canopy frame just a wee bit (to the outside) to assure it clears the seat back.

I'm 6'3", and surprise surprise, I always have the hinges in the furthest aft position. I also installed the Anti-Splat "Almost an RV-14" mod to allow the seatback to recline further, and highly recommend it for taller pilots; makes a huge difference in room and comfort - the seatback felt too upright to me with the stock setup.

I'm 5'9" and in my RV-6 I have the seat bottom in the aft hingeline with the seat back all the way aft as well. I didn't build it, and the builder never installed the top hinged adjustment. I have the parts but it seems it's not needed.

I'm 5'11", and in the same situation as Doug. Bought it flying, and have always had the seats full aft. I recently upgraded from the original simple foam seats to the Classic Aero seats, and haven't changed the positions yet. Mine doesn't have the seat back adjustment flaps on them, but I haven't seen a need for them either.

The real difference in fit won't be height though... It'll be the breakdown between leg length and upper body length. If it helps, my inseam is 34".

Sideways location is very critical for the hinges – to close outboard and the seat hit the roll over bar for the canopy (tip up) to far inboard .. and you hit the electric flap brace ...

I had to move the hinge on the seat back 1 hinge section inboard ... I was pretty much spot on with the hinges on the floor .. but ended up hitting the roll bar ...

200 lbs, 5' 11" and i prefer the more reckined position.

I use the middle slot and the middle slot on the 605 seatback.

:cool: CJ

Totally depends on sitting height

If you have a long back, you may have the bottom cushion full forward. Short legs, long back. I hit the canopy if the bottom isn't in the most forward position. 6'2" and 33 inch inseam. If the cushion isn't built correctly, you can't get full aft stick travel.

Back