What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PAR100EX Ground Lug

larrynew

Well Known Member
How do I make the connection to this ground lug on the audio panel?

PAR100EX%2520Ground%2520Lug.jpg

The top hole is too tiny for a screw. Do I take the grounds to the bottom hole? Searched PS engineering website, Google and here but no joy. Embarrassed at such a basic question.

Thanks,

From your image, it looks like those are either solder lugs, or for push on terminals.

From your image, it looks like those are either solder lugs, or for push on terminals.

Ahh..."solder" lugs works much better for searching. Thanks Mike. The "ground lug" label from the manual was my problem. Sure got a good dose of the education part of this phase of the build.

Aren't those for grounding the shields from your wiring? I believe I removed them and used ring terminals in their place.

ring terminals from the J1 and J2 connector bodies?

... I emailed PS Eng tech support to confirm, but my custom wiring harness has a bundle terminated in a ring terminal screwed into the connector body of J1 and J2. I was thinking these ring terminals get unscrewed from the connector body, and connected one each to the ground lugs. Not sure though, so waiting for reply from tech support. Anyone have guidance on this?
(This for PAR100EX rack installation for anyone not reading the entire thread.)

Jeff,

I ended up soldering the shield ground wires from each bundle to the ground (solder) lugs that came with the connector and heat shrinking. Others have removed the ground lugs and used ring terminals. My avionics mentor (certified avionics shop general manager) said either is fine. I did find that I had to grind a little off the screw that holds either the upper ground lug or ring terminal as it hits the rear case screw on the radio box when it's fully seated.

I installed and tested it all this weekend and it worked extremely well. I could hear ATIS and tower from 5 miles away using the bottom antenna (Delta Pop) in my garage! I thought there were siginificant obstructions (hills) in the way but I guess not. The bluetooth on the PAR100EX connected easily to the iphone for music and cell calls.

Audio%2520Panel%252001.JPG

Larry, you sure have become good at paving my way to the finish line and I hope you don?t stop! I was sure hoping to get by and see you before my daughter moved back to Tyler but, time just did not allow.

Randy,

Let's both finish and we can trade visits to Wurstfest and the Tyler Rose Festival or Azalea Trail (trying to score points with the wife). I like Doug's front page text:

"...to virtually network and solve building issues. The goal is that when you finish your RV and fly places, and meet in person the people you have talked with here, you will already kind of know them."

Back