What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Access Panels Seal?

apkp777

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I am wondering if some of you have sealed your wing (and emp) access panels? I am not sure what would be best. I am not sure if it even needs it. Still, with the AP servo and Pitot controller, it seems that it might be a good idea?

Nope

I have no seal of any kind on mine. I've flown through rain plenty of times and all the 'stuff' in the wing stays nice and dry. Don't try to keep water out of the airframe. Otherwise you may inadvertently keep water from draining out and that has the potential to KILL you.

Hey all,

I am wondering if some of you have sealed your wing (and emp) access panels? I am not sure what would be best....
Access panels, wherever located can be waterproofed/sealed using good old proseal as the gasket material. The technique, long and widely used in the aerospace industry is known as FIPS or "form in place sealing." I did a ton of that type of work in the production environment and briefly discussed the general technique here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=10655&postcount=7

Access panels, wherever located can be waterproofed/sealed using good old proseal as the gasket material. The technique, long and widely used in the aerospace industry is known as FIPS or "form in place sealing." I did a ton of that type of work in the production environment and briefly discussed the general technique here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=10655&postcount=7

Rick, I like this idea...what do you recommend as a good 'non-stick parting agent'?

Good idea if you plan on putting floats on your RV :D, otherwise a waste of time IMO. Like one poster said above, always think drainage if you do decide to go this route.

I do understand the concern about drainage. Being a taildragger, I don't think drainage would be an issue. I am only thinking about the 6 lower wing access panels, particularly the 2 that are C/T the pitot controller and AP servo.

Ricks method is what we did at the airlines, I wonder if instead of proseal, what about a very thin layer of clear RTV, let cure then put the panels on.

I am concerned about this as on our way back from SNF this year, my friends TruTrak servos got waterlogged and froze at altitude. We were on short final in terribly gusty conditions when the servo finally sheared and it made for quite a ride 20 feet off the ground. Apparently TT said this had never happened before? I suppose the tornado/ horizontal rain may have had something to do with it.

Last edited:
...what do you recommend as a good 'non-stick parting agent'?
Ron,

I cannot recommend a suitable parting agent for proseal because I never FIPsed a panel outside the production environment. Perhaps someone else can tell you what they successfully used.

The application I am considering is for front deck access panels. And after doing a search, it looks like others have done ProSeal FIP gaskets for this. I wonder if something as simple as vasoline would work? Either way, this is a handy tip...thanks.

Ron, I just talked to a friend who told me he used carnuba wax and RTV. He said it worked great. I think I might give it a try.

Old Modelers trick.

A trick you all might want to try is an old modelers trick of taping good old Saran wrap to the panel and installing it while the RTV/proseal is still wet. When it sets up just remove the panel and peel the Saran wrap off.

A trick you all might want to try is an old modelers trick of taping good old Saran wrap to the panel and installing it while the RTV/proseal is still wet. When it sets up just remove the panel and peel the Saran wrap off.

This is what I did on my front/top access panels and it worked great. Just screw the panels in through the saran wrap and proseal and let set up for a week. This allows the gasket to perfectly form to the irregularities of the panel (mine were homemade panels so less than perfect).

greg

Back