What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset Noise

JohnF

Well Known Member
This is the last 'bug' that I have not yet addressed and fixed in the RV-12.

What seemed like radio noise..... no noise until the throttle is well advanced during take off. Thought it was through the radio, but it does not change if the radio is turned off. When in slow flight with reduced RPM's the noise is gone; its only during higher rpm operation...the sound is something like a crackling, popping, snapping, on and off sound. Its not so bad that I can't live with it, but want to eliminate it.

I have some ferrite units that 'snap' around wires coming that I will apply to all the leads to/from the rectifier and see if that help.

Also have not investigated electromagnetic induction into the leads to the intercom yet, but will await the ferrite application...if that doesn't work, then I will try attacking the intercom.

Also I might put a ferrite unit on the Zulu headset just prior to the control unit too.

The part is seems odd isn't noise being generated as much as it is that it only happens during higher rpm operation. Once it starts it is constant and does not vary with intensity or rapidity as rpm is increased/decreased until I get at under perhaps 4000 ....when its there, its constant.

Any suggestions?

Is your headset passive, or active noise reduction? If ANR, it sounds like the ANR electronics aren't handling the loudest noises properly.

Happens to me in my T-6G, which is VERY noisy in the cockpit.

If you have a passive headset, I have no clue what the issue might be.:rolleyes:

Noise

Headset is a Zulu active noise reduction unit...very effective reducing engine sound...could be (?) involved in responding to engine radiation ... will see if ferrite unit helps.

ANR sets can get a flutter in the earpiece if the ear seal is leaking....... like around glasses or hair not allowing the seal. Try shutting off the ANR and see how it sounds............

I am looking fwd to testing the new MGL headset at OSH 11. Right now, I am a lightspeed QFR fan. Even though I do have a zulu set in the box................

Try adjusting the squelch on the intercom.

I had this happen to me when a passenger headset was left connected but with no passenger - there was enough engine noise that at high power it tripped the intercom squelch. Very disconcerting and it didn't dawn on me what the source was until I landed and saw the headset.

Mark Olson RV-7A F1-EVO

I flew this morning using a Soft Comm non-ANR headset, and no noise. I switched in flight to the ZULU ANR and fiddled with intercom squelch and headset mic sensitivity and noise gone.

Thanks, NRT8890, you were dead right !!!

JohnF

Back