What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking in the Mirror at a Bonehead...

B25Flyer

Well Known Member
First the good news, Ole' 84 is Red and it looks FANTASTIC... (Pics soon.)

And now for the rest of the story....

If you ever wonder how things get started down a slippery slope here is a diary of what might have been a disaster....

Everyone knows that flying an airplane out of the paint shop is a high risk activity. Every control surface has been removed, lots of wires have been unhooked and hooked up. All the antennas have been removed and replaced. It is a much bigger deal than an annual inspection and the opportunities for errors are everywhere.

I got the call that the airplane was done, and for those who have been watching the weather you know that the northern plains have been buried in a three foot blanket of snow. As the warm air of spring arrives to melt it, the result is daily morning fog, that may or may not break by noon.

The fog broke right at noon yesterday and we took off at noon in a Cherokee 180 to retrieve the Rocket. The forecast called for 2500 BKN until dusk when the fog would roll in again. Everyone knows that flying a freshly painted airplane in low IFR would be a bad idea.

We climbed through a scatter layer and ten miles east of the airport it was clear all the way to Quincy and the Rocket looked great. I gave the airplane a good look over, and paid the bill. I checked the WX back at MCW and it was 500 OVC and 6 miles vis. I told my time building VFR chauffeur that if the WX did not improve to meet the forecast at home, he should go to Charles City CCY, just 30 miles east of home, where the snow was gone and the sky would be clear. I said if everything worked I would shoot the approach to MCW and if it didn't I planned to go to CCY as well.

I took off and the airplane performed wonderfully. Everything worked, no issues except the weather at home was not improving. I was chatting with the Cherokee on "fingers" about the weather and watched it on XM. About half way home it went to 300 & 1.... Everything was working perfectly and I shoot routinely fly approaches to minimums. So I continued....

I flew the ILS and it was not 300 and one, I was right at minimums when the lights appeared and I landed without incident....

I got in my RED Truck to drive to CCY to retrieve my chauffeur and called the F1Boss Mark Frederick to tell him his old Rocket was RED and it looked GREAT.... In passing I mentioned I was driving because the WX was low at home.... He grumbled at me.... "You know better than to be flying a freshly painted airplane in Low IFR..."

He was right, I do.... I would have never left to go pick up the airplane had I known that the WX at home would be 500 ft overcast on return... Much less 200.... What was different once I was there? Inertia.... We get moving in one direction and everything is working and the farther we go into it the harder it is to change direction.....

If the RV-List had a report of a Rocket that was crashed by a multi-thousand hour ATP, DPE, with over 700 hours in the accident airplane picked up the airplane, flew it home and crashed on an ILS to minimums, everyone would say, "What an idiot." I would too, but it worked so well, it was so easy....

Oh yes, when I was took off, I said to myself, if everything is not working well, I can land in VMC 30 miles short of home. If it is working, I a 500 ft approach is not a big deal. When it went to 300, I said, wow, that is not anywhere near the forecast of 2500. And when I broke out at 200 ft I was thinking what an incredibly capable airplane.... I really never gave it a second thought until Mark smacked my up the side of my head.....

The flight was so smooth, so simple and so stupid.... The inertia of the trip lead me to a place I would have never gone standing on the ground looking objectively at the facts. But once the plan was in motion, it was so easy to keep rolling along. So all I have to report is this, the guy I saw in the mirror shaving this morning is a bonehead.

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal Chief Bonehead
RED Rocket

Last edited:
Been there...

Thanks for the wake up call! We've all made similar mistakes:eek:
In a previous job, 20 or so yrs ago, I investigated industrial accidents as part of my job. In almost every case, the involved person could have prevented the incident by doing something he/she should have known to do, or not do. And a lot of folks, especially those sitting in a comfy office, would line up to cast stones. After awhile I realized that in almost every case, we had all made very similar mistakes, but got away with it. The difference was not that the rest of us were somehow smarter or better. We just got lucky most of the time. But eventually luck fails us, and an incident happens. The message I tried to get across was that we've got to discipline ourselves to do it right, every time. Discipline ourselves to honestly ask, "am I doing this right? Or am I betting that I'll get lucky...again". Because if we make a habit of counting on luck, that luck will run out. The truth is, in real life, we'll eventually find our self in a situation where we need some luck. When that time comes, we don't want to have used it all up carelessly:eek:
Thanks for sharing your experience and glad it worked out!
BTW...all that preaching is mostly aimed at ME! now...if i can just practice what i preach...;)

Last edited:
Judgement is a complex imperfection

We are risk takers by our very nature as pilots. We really wouldn't want it any other way. I'm sure as you saw the light below get darker as you approached 200 ft AGL you were prepared for the missed and at the same time knew you were about to break out of the overcast. Once you takeoff there is not a lot of tolerance for indecision. Here's hoping the challenges are easier and the pre-takeoff decisions wiser in the future. You done good to sweat it and share.

Bob Axsom

Feeling your pain ...

As I type this on my iPhone, I'm sitting at the FBO at Rolla National in Missouri. I've been waiting since last Friday for the weather to clear enough to fly "Smokey" down to TX for some paint.

The planned route cleared everywhere except where I find myself right now. It was predicted to clear by the time I got here, but didn't. Flying along in good vis at 3000', then the ceiling dropped. I did a 180 and looked for a place to land, and Rolla National fit the bill.

I may be stuck here for another day or so, and I'm not happy about it. However, had I pressed on - or let my ego egg me into taking off today - I know how relentlessly you guys would crucify THIS bonehead here on VAF! That's enough to keep me here. :D

Any RVers around these here parts?

BTW, the hospitality of the folks here at Rolla Nat'l is great!

Last edited:
We are risk takers by our very nature as pilots. We really wouldn't want it any other way. I'm sure as you saw the light below get darker as you approached 200 ft AGL you were prepared for the missed and at the same time knew you were about to break out of the overcast. Once you takeoff there is not a lot of tolerance for indecision. Here's hoping the challenges are easier and the pre-takeoff decisions wiser in the future. You done good to sweat it and share.

Bob Axsom

Bob, the problem is, I didn't sweat it, I don't get shook up by a low approach, I just should not have been doing one on the first flight after the airplane had been scattered all over the hanger floor in a strange shop...

And while there is low tolerance for indecision, We need to be prepared and willing to change to Plan B when Plan A is falling apart rather than lower our standards in order to complete Plan A which is what I did that Pi$$es me off.

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

As I type this on my iPhone, I'm sitting at the FBO at Rolla National in Missouri.

Don,

Say hi to my friend Lee Maples and look at some of his airplanes.... He has some beauties!!!! His partner is Ed Schmidt, he is a good guy as well.... Good Luck!

Tailwinds,
Doug

i was thinking you had a longer flight but looking up uin to mcw that's only 215 miles, just over an hour of flight time, right?

i was thinking earlier it was a longer flight (don't know why i got that impression) and was wondering what exactly would go wrong in a low weather approach that you wouldn't notice earlier in the flight. I mean, you are checking weather, using the radio and other nav devices before you get to the destination, right? same with control surfaces, i hope.

but maybe an hour would be cutting it a little closer. nearly all of us could be a little more cautious, is what i get from your post.

Thanks for sharing your experience Doug...

It was the famous race car driver Mario Andretti (I believe) that said racing Formula One cars was not that inherently dangerous...the tricky part (he said) was "surviving the process of defining the boundries". And as important and valuable as education, training and practice are in enabling us to "define the boundries" it is often the mistakes we make along the way (and survive) that teach us the best lessons.

A modest example for me happened in 1976 during my third solo glider flight...on a windy day I got blown too far downwind in the patten and almost "landed" in a peachtree orchard off of the (downwind) end of the runway. I ended up clearing the last outstretched branch of the orchard by about 10 feet of altitude as I just made the runway. My pride would have probably been the biggest casualty if I'd gone into the trees (peachtrees aren't that tall and have lots of "grabby" branches), but the event made an indelible impression on me beyond all of the well-intended instruction I had read and received. If only that had been the end of MY boneheaded moves... :rolleyes:

Your story reminds me again of how easy it is to get pulled into a bad situation regardless of what your experience and achievment levels are. So from one bonehead to another, regarding your candor I say...KUDOS!! :cool:

Last edited:
Don,

Say hi to my friend Lee Maples and look at some of his airplanes.... He has some beauties!!!! His partner is Ed Schmidt, he is a good guy as well.... Good Luck!

Tailwinds,
Doug

Doug,

I met Lee about 6 years ago at Vichy and I have never forgotten that visit. You're right, his airplanes are incredible!

-Jordan

Don,

Tailwinds,
Doug

Doug, don't take this wrong, but I hope I'm not here long enough to meet him! :D

On the bulletin board in the FBO there's a newspaper clipping of him in front of his Mustang. Believe me, I wish he was hanging around the airport so I could get a tour. I'm sure there are a bunch of interesting planes on the field that I'll never get to see ...

I take the week off work to deliver my plane to TX and get to spend it in Rolla, Misery ... and tomorrow's not looking any better.

Harrumph. :mad:

The issue here is pilot ego. It is the part of each of us that says "you can do it...press on" while a more conservative voice advising caution has lost control. We've all been there. Flying a newly painted airplane IFR without a designated flight test is something any of us might fall into.

(I once flew a Cherokee Arrow through a small thundershower IFR at 10,000' and never forgot that experience. I sure knew better and it was the beginning of no more SEL IFR without radar.)

Thanks for posting the experience. It could have been a problem, but this time it was not thanks to the diligence of the persons who put it back together after the paint job. Sometimes the elevators and/or ailerons are hooked up wrong not to think of the little things that may not be right. :)

A very good lesson here is that.....

....every one of us should not only do a very extensive, non-rushed pre-flight inspection after paint, but double check for correct travel of trim tabs and so on. If the controls were removed for paint, even more caution is needed. There are many cases of reversed controls and/or trim functions that had grave outcomes. This is very unlikely to happen to an RV because of our pushrods but trim is easily reversed.

Best,

....every one of us should not only do a very extensive, non-rushed pre-flight inspection after paint, but double check for correct travel of trim tabs and so on. If the controls were removed for paint, even more caution is needed. There are many cases of reversed controls and/or trim functions that had grave outcomes. This is very unlikely to happen to an RV because of our pushrods but trim is easily reversed.

Best,

Hi Pierre

Exactly that happened to one of our AT802's after some maintainence work on the elevators and control systems. The trim system got reversed some how (cable operated) and the pilot got a nasty surprise on take-off when application of elevator trim made the controls MUCH heavier rather than lighter. Thankfully he was able to do a low level circuit and uneventful landing.
He will never just " jump in " after maintainence work again! :eek:

Regards
Graham in Aus...

Gotta add my thanks for your write-up Doug. We always talk about "Judgment coming from Experience", and the truth is most of us that have been flying for decades in all sorts of airplanes and weather have learned out judgment by experiences just the same as yours. The flight turns out just fine, but we look back at it and say "ya know.....that really wasn't very smart". Imagining it as an accident report if it hadn't turned out is a great way to sting ourselves as a reminder.

When experienced pilots talk about the importance of judgment, many people believe they are "belittling" the folks that don't have that many years of experience. In truth, they are telling tales on themselves to help others avoid the mistakes they have made (and survived!).

Thanks again for sharing!

Paul

Thanks for the candor Doug!

FWIW, that guy has appeared in my mirror at times over the years as well, and I have a few of my own boot marks in my keester to show for it (but each mark is a lesson learned, as you know, and as others have said).

Great reminder as I just pulled an aileron and a flap to rebuild a twisted flap and experiment with new wingtips. Preflight, test fly, take it slow and be cautious. Check!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Bob

Good article

I can relate very much to this article. Thanks for writing it.

When I lived in Nova Scotia I had my airplane painted in Maine. The pickup day finally arrived and I was getting a ride down in a Cherokee. The weather and aircraft serviceability (engine wouldn't start) delayed us a bit to the point where the ferry pilot decided the furthest he could go is Bangor. So I rented a car and drove another 2 hours past Bangor to the airport. By the time I arrived (with minimal stops and a bit beyond the speed limit) the paint shop was 1/2 hour from closing and it was starting to get dark. I had asked them to leave the access panels off to ease the inspection. When I arrived they had more than the access panel off and it took a good 1/2 hour with 6 guys to get it inspected (with the aid of an A&P) and everything buttoned up.

Then the big decision:
I have to work tomorrow
If everything went as planned I would have taken off 10 hours ago.
Aircraft is full IFR/autopilot if required
Maine airport location is quite remote (trees and hills everywhere) and long drive to B&B
NIGHT!!!!!
Destination is small airport
I need to land just across the border and clear customs

So in the end I decided to do several touch and gos and provided nothing was evident, I would press on home.

Looking back would I still make the same decision? The best way to answer that question is to think about how you felt after the flight was over? I was releived to be home with no issues. Its all about risk management. When I paint my next airplane, I'm going to book a hotel for at least 2 nights and spend a good day inspecting and test flying.

It Happened To Me

After paying for a great paint job on my Cessna 150 I proceeded to do the longest and most thorough preflight ever. The only point in question was with the oil filler door latches. They didn't lock with authority as they did before the paint job. It was getting late and I had a trip ahead of me so I convinced myself they would be fine. As I was climbing out through approximately 300 feet agl the filler door opened up and was flapping wildly in the full power prop wash! I was certain it would break loose and either crash through the windshield or do some other damage. I instructed my passenger to place my flight bag in front of his face for protection. Suffice it to say I was able to land without a problem and the paint shop replaced the parts with positive locking pieces in a matter of minutes. That was nine years ago and I still relive the moment every single time I touch that door. No need to state the obvious moral of the story.

You da MAN!

Glad ya made it, Doug. All to often I see that same fella in the mirror...but I don't go out & TELL people about it!:eek: Talk about guts! I am duly impressed, and I will try to follow your example.

Now, let's see some pictures of Ole 84 in her new color! Max is gonna have to make a second page for that plane, I'll bet.

Carry on!
Mark

Mark,

Thank you for slapping me up the side of my bone hard head... All of us need friends who we know will be honest with us..... Even when we don't like it.

Tailwinds,
Rozy

BTW... So why would you let an unnamed "friend" scud run across South Dakota in a Twin Beech...... Or buzz Tornados in Nebraska, Or Land is Hellish winds in Kansas????

Ummm... Doug... Did I miss the pictures of your new paint job??

P.S. Will you be at Sun n Money?

Lee...

Uhhhhhh....

Mark,

Thank you for slapping me up the side of my bone hard head... All of us need friends who we know will be honest with us..... Even when we don't like it.

Tailwinds,
Rozy

BTW... So why would you let an unnamed "friend" scud run across South Dakota in a Twin Beech...... Or buzz Tornados in Nebraska, Or Land is Hellish winds in Kansas????

For the high entertainment factor? Dueling boneheads?:D

Mark

I have it easy

I am a weather wuss and darn proud of it. In the last two years I have had to stay overnight short of my destination in south Florida coming back from the Caymans, Atlanta GA, coming back from another Florida trip, in Indiana short of Michigan because once over one airport the weather ahead looked IFR. Maybe it was just marginal but I could not see squat so I told the approach controller I was doing a 180 to land.

Then two weeks ago returning from Mexico I stayed in Albuquerque two night due to snowy conditions.

Whenever I think about doing something stupid all I have to do is think of the pleasure my death would bring to a few people. Easy to stop, stay alive and fly another day.

Nothing is so critical for pleasure fliers that you have to get home.

123.45 is not an appropriate "chit chat" frequency. The FCC has allocated that freq to flight testing. There is only one real chit chat frequency, according to the AIM and the FCC, and that's 122.75.

Back