What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Remote Compass Location

nlgflygirl

I'm New Here
I have read a few comments regarding location of the EDC-D10A. Does anyone have information of where they located theirs, specifically in a RV8

Pics!

I built a little shelf for my GRT Magnetometer and mounted it on the second bulkhead behind the baggage compartment (the one where the static ports are located). Works great. I just did a very similar thing on the -6 with the EDC-10's, and that worked out fine as well.

Picture of the "double stack" for the -6...
IMG_2050.jpg

The flat face (in the foreground) of the shelf is mounted flush on the bulkhead using screws.

Paul

We put ours at the same Bulkhead as Paul, but on LHS:
  • Made a light "tripod" from angle
  • Base screwed to lower Longeron
  • One end of EDC on upper Longeron
  • Other on "tripod"
Putting it LHS kept it as far from the (manual) elevator trim cable and any wires etc. (e.g. OAT probe), and ran the wires round in clips with the static tube.

Tripod need not be "rigid" since when screwed to the EDC that provides the rigidity ;)

EDC-10A Location

Here's mine....

The angle gives it the stiffness it needs. Still, I'm not sure about vibration here but that concern is mainly due to the mount. Once I'm flying I'll see if I get unstable readings and troubleshoot from there.

Don't forget, not ferrous fasteners only! Mine are brass. (Which I've never quite understood why Dynon states that, the entire compass is surrounded with aluminum... uh hem.... which conducts pretty well.) :confused:

edc-10.jpg

I have read a few comments regarding location of the EDC-D10A. Does anyone have information of where they located theirs, specifically in a RV8

Pics!
In its installation instructions, Dynon seems to go to great lengths to explain why the remote compass unit must be isolated as much as possible from magnetic and ferrous interference. In keeping with that specification, I chose to mount the compass unit on the right outboard wing rib using a special mounting bracket designed specifically for the purpose.

http://www.safeair1.com/index.htm

2uejuqh.jpg

Last edited:
......Don't forget, not ferrous fasteners only! Mine are brass. (Which I've never quite understood why Dynon states that, the entire compass is surrounded with aluminum... uh hem.... which conducts pretty well.) :confused:

IIRC, ferrous means iron or steel, which will attract a magnet. Aluminum will conduct electricity, but won't attract a magnet, i.e. non-ferrous.

aft fuse

put mine aft of rear baggage- - attached to piece of angle that runs between the longerons. ultra simple.

strobe and auto pilot servo

Do any of you that have mounted the remote compass in the bay behind the baggage bulkhead also have strobe power pack and auto pilot pitch servo in that bay as well? And if so, have you noticed any interference with the compass?

Ernie Billing
Wiring an RV7
San Luis Obispo, CA

rv-8 remote compass

I made a shelf for the remote compass and attached it to the bulkhead just aft of the battery/baggage section.

I mounted the OAT probe, which connects to the remote compass unit, near the inspection panel under the horizontal stab. This simplified the wiring runs and will make maintenance easier. Note, already had to remove the remote compass to address the SB.

remotecompassbx0.jpg

Good luck.

Mike Draper
RV-8 TMX0360 CS
N468RV
Finishing...........

This is how I did mine in my 8. It is behind the aft baggage area, and has worked fine. I have my strobe power supply behind the aft baggage compartment as well, but it does not affect the compass at all. I did have to move the wire that powered my aft position (white) light on the tail. It ran about 12 inches or so away from the compass module, and when I would turn on the position lights it would swing the compass about 3 degrees. I moved the wire to about 20 inches away, and now have no problem.

remotecompassmount.jpg

compassinplace.jpg

Mark

Pics!

I put mine where a few other -8 builders have, under the verticle stab, emp faring. No fancy bracket or shelf just use what's already there. That location should be very close to being level with the longerons as well as 90 degrees off the panel (mine was), easy access if you ever need to get to it. OAT (connected to the EDC-D10A) is on the bottom of the right horizontal stab. Brass nuts, bolts and washers from Lowes/Home Depot. Keep it as far forward as you can, away from the elevator control horns.

If water getting under the faring is a concern, some builders put the EDC-D10A in a plastic bag before they mount it. I didn't do this because the possibility of condensation being greater than water damage in the area I live. Thin strip of weather strip under the emp faring should stop most of the water.

digital level

Install instructions recommend a digital level, accurate to less than 1 degree. Any makes/brands/suggestions? Anybody use the IPhone digital level app, close enough?

Get a Smart Tool Level. I wouldn't trust your iPhone. Besides, you are going to want it when it comes time to set your wing incident.

Here's a link.

Right wingtip

Pics!

I put mine in the right wingtip using the SafeAir1 mounting bracket. I didn't install one originally, thinking that I'd try the internal compass. As I suspected, it didn't work that well. The external unit works great.

compass2-w.jpg

Another question about DRC mounting

I've mounted the RC behind the second inspection plate in the right wing. So I can remove it if I need, I've used screws and nutplates to mount the mounting bracked to a rib. The screws and nutplates are about 3" from the RC. Could this be a problem?

Wingtip

I also put mine in the wingtip using the SafeAir1 mounting bracket. Been flying with it now 165 hours -- works great. First accurate, reliable magnetic compass I've ever had in an airplane.

MGL also is explicit on compass mounting. Their instructions say to look for ferrous stuff and use a handheld compass to prowl around the airplane for a good spot with least deviation. On the 10 the best spot was high up, somewhere aft of the cabin bulkhead. I don't dig the wingtip thing cause of difference in turn rate (advancing rotor thing). Also, I'm shoving a strobe supply in each tip. I used AL pop rivets to hang a little shelf one bulk back from the roof. Industrial velcro locks well and makes for easy tweaking. This new stuff is so light. The hiking compass also showed me a pair of strong magnets in each GPS antenna stuck in there for automotive mounting, something to check for. Old flight instructor trick: Get student to match up compass/DG, distract him, throw sunglasses on glareshield and watch compass swing, make student reset DG, put on sunglasses, make student set DG, etc. Kinda fun.

I mounted mine on a piece of aluminum plate riveted to a piece of angle. Riveted that to the longerons. Simple, and allowed for easy adjustment till I had it dialed in. Ended up not having to adjust anyway. Works just fine.

angle.jpg

Mike Draper, Can't quite tell if you did this or not, but be careful where your rigid plastic static tubing goes directly onto a tee fitting. That is what I did. On my second pitot static test (2 years after the first), my system leaked. I found nearly all of the rigid plastic tubing split open where it was stretched onto the tee fittings. I had to go back and fix it all with a piece of transition soft plastic tube that fit over the rigid tube and then over the tee, as it looks like you did in all but one of your fittings. Good luck

Back