What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 remote baro input

Lenny Iszak

Well Known Member
I just installed a G5 as a backup in the panel, replacing 2 1/4 steam gauges + and ADI.
I love everything about this little unit. From the way it's installed, to its cool battery backup, bright screen, intuitive menu system, except one minor thing. It's kind of a pain to keep adjusting baro on both my main AFS screens and G5 all the time, especially that the G5 is on the far right of my panel. Does anyone know if there is a way to provide a baro input to the G5? It would be awesome if it could follow the baro on AFS.

G3xpert, any ideas?

Lenny

Altimeter syncs between dual G5's connected via can bus. Can the AFS connect to the Garmin via can?

Bob, my AF-5800T screens don't have a can bus. The older ones did. I'm thinking maybe the serial or Arinc ports on the G5 could pick it up.

Altimeter syncs between dual G5's connected via can bus. Can the AFS connect to the Garmin via can?

Two comments.
1. Far right side is not the greatest place for a backup.
2. You already know the advantages of interconnecting. Have you considered the disadvantages? Is at at all possible for a fatal software flaw to propagate from your main to backup efis?

I have two 12" screens, and a center stack, so there's no room for the G5 other than on the far right. I don't anticipate needing to use it, but if I do, I can definitely see it just fine where it is.
Even if it was right in front of me, I'd still not want to set baros in two places every time.

#2 is a valid point.

Lenny

Back