What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A once in a lifetime cross country adventure

Darren S

Well Known Member
With all the excellent cross country threads currently running (Vlad and Scott), I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. This was truly a special one! Hope you all enjoy the read.

?Eat, pee and fly?. A Cross- Canada flight with my 75 year old Pops.

?Minot Tower, this is RV-7 Golf, Charlie, Victor Whiskey. There is tremendous wind shear on the approach to runway 13, my Dad is behind me in an Ultralight, call sign Charlie, India, Lima, do not clear him for landing on runway 13, give him vectors for runway 26!?

And so it went as Dad and I approached Minot, North Dakota to clear US customs and begin the US legs of our great adventure.

I?ve recently completed one of the best cross country flights of my life. I had the privilege of flying from Calgary, AB to Kitchener, Ontario with my Dad. I flew my Van?s RV-7 (GCVW) and he flew his Titan Tornado ultralight (ICIL). He is the real hero of this adventure. I?m both impressed and incredibly proud of how he handled his machine in the adverse weather and the winds, all the while hand- flying it for over 40 hours!

The destination of our trip was Lubitz Field (CLB2) in Plattsville, Ontario. We were to attend the UPAC (Ultralight Pilot?s Association of Canada) Annual Convention which was held August 19, 20 and 21st of this year. Kathy and Ed Lubitz are the owners and they operate an Ultralight Flying school from their property.

I built an Ultralight years ago and I?ve have always had a soft spot in my heart for the ?low and slow? type of flying. The annual convention coincided quite well with Dad?s 75th birthday so in the Fall of 2015 the idea for the trip was birthed.

I?ve done several cross country flights to the US in the RV and Dad has always wanted to experience flying his plane through US airspace on a long cross country. In preparation for the trip he had some work to do. First he upgraded his Titan by installing a transponder, then he put on a belly pod for luggage, bought some noise cancelling headsets and finally he installed an upgraded ICOM radio.

Also, to be legal to fly an Ultralight in the US, Dad has to upgrade his Basic pilot permit to an Instructors license. No easy feat as there was a written portion to pass as well as complete another flight exam.

In the weeks leading up to our departure date of August 16, 2016, we did some rough flight planning but as those who have flown long distances will attest, we can only plan so much because the weather has the final say as to where and how far we travel on any given day.

Before we knew it the big departure day was upon us and we launched out of Chestermere?s Kirby Field (CFX8) enroute to Swift Current (CYYN) our first fuel stop.

1zg5ahx.jpg

Departure day. August 16, 2016

Now, those who are familiar with the RV series of aircraft will immediately ask how a plane that normally cruises at 150 knots can fly with an Ultralight that cruises at 90 knots. Well, the quick answer is that it?s possible but not intuitive. After trying several different set up profiles for the plane, I settled on one that worked for the duration of the trip. Running at 40% power I would fly a Track that was 45 degrees off of the ?magenta? GPS line that ran from the departure airport to the destination airport. Once I was about 15 miles off course I?d turn and fly back at a 45 degree angle until I touched the magenta line. I?d repeat this as many times as necessary to ensure my arrival at the destination was within 10 minutes of Dad.

If trouble arose for either of us, we needed to be within close proximity of each other. Also, once clear of the departure airport by about 5 miles, Dad and I would switch to a discrete frequency so that we could talk freely over the radio without interfering with local traffic. This turned out to be a great way to stay in touch as we were constantly checking with each other on ground speed, altitude and distance from destination.

Swift Current airport (CYYN) is a nice field with a new airport terminal/pilot lounge. They offer a free courtesy car to be used by those who fly in. After a quick snack and ?.er?..pee, we were airborne for Weyburn, Saskatchewan (CJE3) for our first night.

This began a routine that we?d repeat over and over for the next 10 days.

Fly, land, get transportation, get a room, eat dinner, hit the hot tub, check weather for the next day, sleep, get up, check weather for the day, eat breakfast, back to the airport, preflight, gas up and take off.

Our East Indian cabbie took us to a motel in Weyburn. It was a dump and the $50 round trip cab ride was the highest of the trip! Forget this! Let?s get to the States. In the US almost every small General Aviation airport has a free courtesy car to use.

Throughout the trip we were blessed with exceptional weather. A big high pressure system was following us from West to East and all we had to do was sit right under it.

Day 2 dawned beautiful and our goals for the day were to clear US customs and to hit Litchfield, Minnesota to visit some friends.

There are several hoops to jump through to clear US customs and I won?t bore you with them here but there were no issues getting into our US Port of Entry in Minot, North Dakota, other than the guy in the Tower who was half asleep and cleared me to
land on a downwind runway!. I was glad I went in first and was able to help Dad get oriented on a runway that was INTO the wind.

In Minot, as with several stops along the way, Dad was greeted with the usual raised eyebrows. ?You are from where? Heading where? Flying in that!?? Yup, we?re a couple of cowboys from the Wild West prairies of Alberta!

The Customs officer in Minot was just beside himself that such a small plane could travel such a distance, and with a 75 year old dude behind the controls. I understand the amazement.

rt01og.jpg

Bewildered Customs Officer in Minot, North Dakota. Geiger counter in hand.

Minot to Gwinner, North Dakota for fuel and then off to Litchfield, Minnesota (KLJF). No issues. Day 2 in the books. You guessed it. Land, get car, get room, eat, hot tub, sleep, check weather etc?. Yawn.

sv46dl.jpg

Fuel stop Day 2.

Day 3 was a big day for us. To get from where we were, to where we needed to be, we had to deal with this big swimming pool, also known as Lake Michigan. We had a couple of options. Go around it or go over it, just DON?T go through it!

We left Litchfield with threatening skies behind us but blue skies ahead of us. We?d fly the VFR Eastbound altitudes for the most part but if there was cloud trouble we?d just go over top them all and enjoy the smooth ride.

Our first stop of the day was Merrill, Wisconsin (KRRL), hands down the nicest FBO I?ve EVER seen in my life! There is a black grand piano in there and the airport manager was nice enough to not only help fuel us up, he also serenaded us to, ?Smoke Gets in Your Eyes? on the piano while we ate lunch! No kidding. There?s a nice pilot?s lounge in there and a fireplace too. After lunch and chit chat it was time to go.

1iobxk.jpg

2ur8f8h.jpg

161c008.jpg

Yup a Grand Piano in there!

We decided that because the weather was looking so good and the planes were running equally well, we?d just fly direct over Lake Michigan and be done with it.

We stopped at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin (KSUE) which is on the West coast of Lake Michigan to top up tanks. Then it was time to pour on the throttles, aim the noses to the East and don?t look down. The water crossing was only 30 minutes airtime and was a non event. I won?t discuss the specifics of the water crossing here. As the lyrics in one of my favorite Jamaican songs says, ?Ask me no questions, I tell you no lies?. I?ll leave it at that.

mi1348.jpg

Gased up in Sturgeon Bay (KSUE)

23t5kxs.jpg

Charlie, India Lima over Lake Michigan

Clare, Michigan (48D) was where we rested our heads on Day 3. You know the routine by now.

Day 4 was the day we were to arrive at Lubitz for the start of the UPAC convention but first we had to clear customs to get back into Canada. This was via Sarnia?s Chris Hatfield airport.

Departing Clare on the morning of Day 4 the cloud base was low but lifting so we blasted off. We punched up through a broken layer of clouds and enjoyed a sunny, clear, smooth ride all the way to Sarnia. There was once again a crazy crosswind coming in to land but Dad handled the Titan like a pro.

Once on the ground a quick call to Canadian Customs to verify a few facts and we were Canadians once again.

I will comment on how disappointed I was with the Sarnia airport. Chris Hatfield, if you happen to be reading this, (not likely) PLEASE invest some money into the airport that bears your name. The runway ashphalt is broken up in places, the taxiways are equally broken up with weeds growing between the cracks, the grass hasn?t been mowed since the Apollo days (ok a bit of exaggeration) but it?s long and full of weeds and the FBO. Well it ain?t great. I think my disappointment was heightened by the fact that just across the river in Michigan, even the smallest of towns have beautiful black top runways, clean airfields, easy self serve AVGAS and of course free courtesy pilot cars. Enough said.

From Sarnia we made a beeline for Lubitz field and the conclusion of the outbound legs of our trip.

We arrived a bit early on Friday but were greeted by the friendly staff that was setting up for the convention. I had pre arranged a birthday cake for Dad to celebrate his 75th birthday, so we enjoyed that. We met Kathy and Ed and got oriented for the talk that we were scheduled to give the next day.

part 2

2vl5kbd.jpg

vhswtj.jpg

2yyv47n.jpg

Lubitz field

2zpjok1.jpg

We made it!. Happy birthday Pops. That?s Kathy Lubitz between myself and Dad.

We departed Lubitz after a few hours as we were to spend the night with some friends in St. Catherines, Ontario, a quick 30 minute flight away in the RV. We spent the night watching our fellow countryman Usain Bolt clean up at the Olympics!

The following morning we returned to Lubitz Field and gave a quick talk on the adventures of our outbound legs of the trip. The rest of the day was spent sweating in the heat, hanging around with fellow pilots and telling lies. All pilots are ?flyers and liars? you know and the more times you tell the story the more outrageous the details get! For me there was no better way to waste a Saturday.

28i6i5j.jpg

Lubitz Field

e96lhz.jpg

Richard Branson?...look a like

5yxpx.jpg

Two of the most interesting people I met at Lubitz Field. I failed to get their names

Sunday we said our goodbyes and headed to Toronto?s Buttonville Airport CYKZ). We spent the night in Toronto with some family before beginning the return legs of our trip.

Early morning Day 7 we left Buttonville with the intention of getting as close to Thunder Bay, Ontario as possible. We had initially planned on returning to Calgary via the US, but we opted instead for a return through Canada and some different scenery.

First stop out of Buttonville was Wiarton, Ontario (CYVV). A quick snack, pee and airborne??then all **** started to break loose.

After 20 hours of flawless weather and perfectly running machines, the second leg on the first day of our journey home would start a trend that would see us limping home.

?Darren, I have a serious vibration in plane, I?m returning back to Wiarton!? So came the call from Dad over the radio. Nothing gets your heart racing like a call like that! I told Dad to throttle back, see if he could find a smooth spot in the engine RPM range, don?t touch anything after that, get over a road and head straight in.

part 3

He handled the emergency like a pro and I circled the airport until I heard him say he was down and clear of the runway.

I met Dad on the ground and then the trouble shooting began. A couple of boys from Transport Canada happened to be in the air and overheard our dilemna on the radio. They landed to check that all was well before taking off.

Our nerves were pretty rattled but we were eager to find out what the heck was going on. We tied the Titan to post and did a full throttle run. Nothing there. The engine was strong. We then checked the tail section and found a few items that were a concern. We spent the whole day working on the plane and the Airport staff at Wiarton were top notch. Especially the onsite weather man, Udo, who went out of his way to provide us with tools and anything else we needed for the repairs. The ?smoking gun? turned out to be a loose elevator trim tab hinge. Once we fixed that, Charlie, India, Lima was back in the air and good to go.

e88t8z.jpg

Grounded in Wiarton.

2h2m7it.jpg

Don?t ever let this guy touch your airplane!

2mn5d6r.jpg

Duct tape to the rescue!

We had spent the whole day on the ramp and as the sun was setting our attentions turned to finding a place to sleep and our beloved hot tub. No such luck today. The whole place was sold out. No ?room in the Inn? so we were left with only one option. The airport pilot?s lounge sofa. If this were Merrill, Wisconsin, no sweat. Unfortunately this was no where near the 5 star accommodations that Merrill offered. I gave Dad the sofa and I took the floor and I used my RV canopy cover as a blanket. Uggh. I was so tired I could have slept on a dirt floor in a hut in the Kalahari Desert!

wbqqvn.jpg

Our accommodations for the night in the Wiarton Pilot lounge:( That?s my RV canopy cover bottom right.

Day 8. I was eager to get going early and see if we could make up for the lost day of travel and also to cover some land before the storm that was brewing in Central Canada met us head on.

Wiarton to Manitoulin Island was a beautiful little flight over land, water and some very isolated islands. Little sailboats dotted the blue water below and seeing the different hues of the water, is a treat that only pilots get to enjoy.

2vt75le.jpg

Finally enroute to Gore Bay Manitoulin Island (CYZE).

ixuvpw.jpg

Ferry boat in Georgian Bay/Lake Huron

Dad?s engine tachometer gauge went belly up enroute to Manitoulin but as it turned out it was only a loose wire. An unwelcomed bit of stress!

Lunch in Manitoulin and then off for fuel in Wawa, Ontario. More crazy winds on the approach into Wawa, but by this time Dad was a crosswind expert. Dare I say that a Titan Factory Pilot couldn?t have done a better job of handling the crosswinds!. Good job Dad.

As became our norm, I?d go in ahead of time, and call Dad on the radio. I?d give him the best runway to set up his approach for, warn him about any winds and then I?d head to the fuel pump and get it ready for him.

From there it was off to Marathon, Ontario where there is absolutely nothing but a lonely weatherman sitting in his office.

The end of our Day saw us in Thunder Bay, Ontario and it brought an end to the crossing of the rugged and unforgiving Ontario wilderness. Thanks to God for keeping us safe over that.

24dopoy.jpg

Not a great picture but this is all you see for hundreds of miles over Ontario.

As I was on the ramp in Thunder Bay awaiting Dad?s arrival I saw a most unique sight.

West Jet was there holding short of the runway for their departure. They were waiting for Dad to land so they could taxi out onto the runway. Here came Dad in his little Titan. Coming in for his landing, crossing the runway threshold at the eyeball level of the pilots sitting in the cockpit of the jet. I couldn?t help but think what they must be thinking. If only they knew that right in front of them was a 75 year old guy, flying a plane from Calgary, a plane that weighs less than the food they?re carrying on board, flying it for 30+ hours over the past 7 days and using much more ?stick and rudder? skills than they every would need?..dare I say they should have shut down their 70 million dollar jet, got out and bowed down and claimed that they weren?t worthy!

I digress.

part 4

Day 9 was my day for in flight emergency. After I took off from Thunder Bay I was enroute to Dryden, Ontario. My stomach started to churn and it wasn?t looking good. I once had?...er?.. I once read of a guy who had a most distressing gastrointestinal accident in his plane, poor sucker! Remember the lyrics to that Jamaican song? I wasn?t going to take any chances! I called Dad on the radio and told him I was diverting to the nearest airport. I found this quaint little grass strip Kakabeka Falls (CKG8). Perfect!. Not too far out of the way. I dropped the flaps, did a half mile circuit and dropped the RV in there. The only guy on the field pointed me to the outhouse behind is hanger. Hey, beggers can?t be choosers. He was such a friendly guy, he even shook my hand afterwards. I?ll just leave that thought out there and move on

imukhe.jpg

My gracious host at Kakabeka Falls.

330z51g.jpg

Kakabeka Falls grass strip

14dm3ah.jpg

No explanation needed here !:)

I rendevoued with Dad in Dryden (CYHD) and then Titan crisis number 3 started. The charging system wasn?t working and the voltmeter was reading just above 11 volts. Oh my. The old man was holding up better than his old plane.

9s8jf9.jpg

Some head scratching in Dryden as to the cause of the charging problem. A couple of pilots offering their thoughts.

We decided to press on and Dad knew to turn off any non critical electrical items. Things didn?t improve and by the time we landed in Steinbach, Manitoba ((CJB3) for gas, Charlie, India Lima wouldn?t start back up. The battery was dead. We were done for the day.

We borrowed a battery charger from a local at the field and made plans for the night. Our plans were to still leave in the morning and then seek out a charger at each stop until we go home. We were smelling home and a faulty charging system wasn?t going to stop us.

2z90i1f.jpg

Charlie, India, Lima on charge for the night in Steinbach, Manitoba.

The Titan fired up the next morning and we were off to Nowhere?sville, Manitoba. The angels must have touched Charlie, India, Lima overnight because 20 minutes into the flight I got a call over the radio from Dad that the charging system was again online and charging! Woo hoo!! Great news.

After Nowhere?sville, we completed the circle of our trip by touching wheels again in Weyburn, Sask. The headwinds were strong but the weather was good so we pressed on.

wgoymt.jpg

Nowhere?sville,Manitoba. Airpark you say!? Hmmmm. Sign me up

33ubrbc.jpg

One of the hangers did afford a fitting sentiment for our trip. ?Fly on Forever Pops!?

Out of Weyburn Dad went screaming up high at 12,500 feet, and was chatting with Moose Jaw Approach and getting clearance through their military airspace. I was having my hands full down at 6000 feet as my flaps were refusing to retract and I was trying to do some in flight diagnostic work. Not fun or easy as the daytime heating was causing some seriously turbulence.

The day concluded with us back in Swift Current.

Our only weather delay occured on the morning of our last day. The weather was clear to the West but ceilings of 500 feet kept us on the ground for close to 2 hours. Eventually it lifted and so did our little airplanes on the home stretch.

Eventually the Rocky mountains came into view and so did the Calgary Skyline. Dad and I chatted a bit about the epic trip but were both glad to see our home fields pop up on the GPS once again. Family greeted up as the wheels touched the grass strips and as with most good things, they must come to an end eventually.

43 hours of flying in 10 days is a lot, even for me, and as I write this I have no intention of going back to the field for a month. The RV can sit there all dirty and bug covered. But you know?...talk to me next week, that ole? flyin feeling may be stirring again.

ok0t3d.jpg

3200 nm travelled.

Darren

great trip and write up. Kudos to your dad, still flying at 75! We should all be so lucky.
Last year I got to take my 87 YO dad to Oshkosh for his first time. The best trip in 20 years of Oshkosh. He was like a 12 year old making his first visit to a candy store. Made me wish we had found a way to do it sooner.

I once read of a guy who had a most distressing gastrointestinal accident in his plane...
I've never had one of those (yet), but at 12,500' between Denver and Salt Lake City last year I learned two things: 1. Those "Travel Johns" don't work, and 2. Depends are your friend.

Great writeup. Thanks!

You can put a line in every paragraph worth of a smile or a good laugh Doc! I wish I possess your command of English. Great job guys.

This could be included in tactics textbook for AF academies. :D

Now, those who are familiar with the RV series of aircraft will immediately ask how a plane that normally cruises at 150 knots can fly with an Ultralight that cruises at 90 knots. Well, the quick answer is that it?s possible but not intuitive. After trying several different set up profiles for the plane, I settled on one that worked for the duration of the trip. Running at 40% power I would fly a Track that was 45 degrees off of the ?magenta? GPS line that ran from the departure airport to the destination airport. Once I was about 15 miles off course I?d turn and fly back at a 45 degree angle until I touched the magenta line. I?d repeat this as many times as necessary to ensure my arrival at the destination was within 10 minutes of Dad.

What about crossing the swimming pool? The general public needs to know how did you do it? Seriously. :D

I won?t discuss the specifics of the water crossing here. As the lyrics in one of my favorite Jamaican songs says, ?Ask me no questions, I tell you no lies?.

Darren,

I remember when you were planning this.

So glad for you that you and Dad pulled it off!

Nice trip and great write up!

Nice job!

:D CJ

Dad

Great write up.
Nice pictures too. You are so lucky to have shared the experience with your DAD. Made me jealous!

It has often been said that the north shore of Lake Superior makes its own weather. I take my hat off to you both for having taken the northern route back home. I'm hoping to follow that same route on a summer holiday airplane camping adventure.

Excellent story chronicling an excellent trip!

Just when I was having trip report withdrawl

RE: "With all the excellent cross country threads currently running (Vlad and Scott), I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. This was truly a special one! Hope you all enjoy the read."

Wishing that Vlad and Scott would write faster and at the same time, not looking forward to the end of their adventures, and then this new thread arrives!
Great write up! A very bold trip for you and your dad. Lost my dad a few years ago and trust me, in a few years you will treasure this trip even more than you do today.

Hey Ben. So sorry for your loss. Yes you are right. I'm sure this trip will mean even more to me in the years to come!:)

Hello Darren,

This is a great trip and a great write-up. I would like to personally congratulate your dad for being able to make a great trip like that at his age!

Nedim

Back