What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody Use A Metal Foil Tape For Prop Protection?

mbauer

Well Known Member
IVO props use a SS tape for LE protection. I had one for a while. I had trouble with them coming off on occasion. I ended up using polyurethane tape instead, and avoiding rain to the largest extent possible.
What kind of prop do you want to protect?

Every test I've ever seen where a high performance (high speed, in this case) prop had leading edge tape added, caused a significant loss in performance. Supposedly due to messing with the boundary layer at a critical point on the prop's chord.

I've often wondered what the test would look like if some tape with enough elasticity was used to cover the entire prop, instead of just the leading edge.

i put it on a 3 blade and lost 200 fpm of climb. took it off and the 200 came right back.

Do you know how thick the tape was? Some are really thick.

Using some clear plastic stuff for now, Craig at CATTO installed it, but a really nasty hail storm tore it in a couple of spots. From constant use it is tearing even more.

I have sent an email about using some of these metal foils to CATTO.

Thought about asking here if any one has experience.

Thank you for the reply! Something to think about. I'd trade 200 fpm for good prop protection.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
IVO props use a SS tape for LE protection. I had one for a while. I had trouble with them coming off on occasion. I ended up using polyurethane tape instead, and avoiding rain to the largest extent possible.
What kind of prop do you want to protect?

CATTO two blade. My tape that was installed by Craig at CATTO, has tears in it from a hail storm. He recommended using super glue to stop further tearing. It work some but a couple of places didn't work so good.

Wondering about using the foil stuff as they have ratings for toughness and adhesion.

Lots of gravel strips here in Alaska. Would like to visit a couple, thinking the metal would give a better chance of no damage from small pebbles.

To avoid rain this year, would mean no flying. Winds have been bad as well.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Back